Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:15 AM   #1

Default Everyday Camera for Newbie

Hello,
I am looking to purchase my first digital camera. I've read many reviews on GF1's, S95's, LX3's, LX5's, NEX5's and etc. and cannot decide which would be the best for me.
I go to a lot of music concerts (techno, hip hop, classical) so 720p HD video with stereo sound is preferable.
I like to take random photos from people, shoes, cars, streets, architecture, scenery, buildings, to just about anything.
I have a price limit of $500.
Please help me pick the best compact camera.
Thanks in advance.
branddooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:40 PM   #2

Hi Branddooon,
Olympus EPL-1, that would b MY choice.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Hi Branddooon,
Olympus EPL-1, that would b MY choice.
Great camera but it won't exactly be compact since he will need to carry lenses.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:34 AM   #4

Hi- I'd have to throw in my vote for Canon S95. I realize a picture of my mangy-looking foot mb isn't the best advertisement, but I am amazed at the quality of snapshot photo this little camera delivers. It's great for a "newb" bc it works almost flawlessly in Auto mode, yet there are many options for customization. I'm really having fun with it. OT: I need a pedicure bad.
Attached Images

Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Great camera but it won't exactly be compact since he will need to carry lenses.
Wouldn't that be true of ANY micro four thirds format camera, including the GF1 listed by the OP?
MattZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattZuke View Post
Wouldn't that be true of ANY micro four thirds format camera, including the GF1 listed by the OP?
Indeed, but that was kind of my point. The OP stated he was a newbie w/ a $500 budget that wants a compact camera concerts and everyday casual street shooting. As a self-proclaimed newbie, I wasn't sure he realized that he would need lenses for some of those cameras. imho a camera like the S95, G12, LX5, TL500, etc. would be more suitable for someone just starting out.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
Hi- I'd have to throw in my vote for Canon S95. I realize a picture of my mangy-looking foot mb isn't the best advertisement, but I am amazed at the quality of snapshot photo this little camera delivers. It's great for a "newb" bc it works almost flawlessly in Auto mode, yet there are many options for customization. I'm really having fun with it. OT: I need a pedicure bad.

Wow...that's amazingly clear. Does the S95 have continuous autofocus and optical zoom while recording video? I think the LX5 does? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
branddooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:54 AM   #8

He actually mentioned 4/3 rd config cameras in the original post that's why I recommended Epl 1.Wouldn't he need longer zoom for concerts?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:59 AM   #9

that is a miss leading photo. There is a strong light letting the camera shoot at lower iso.

If you are going to be in a club for your music, you will need something that preforms well at 1600iso. There s95 or the lx5, Lx3 are good at 1600iso, but it does not match the results or m4/3 or aps-c at 1600iso.

The sony nex5 or epl-1 would be a good choice. The epl-1 with the panasonic 20mm 1.7 at 1600iso or the sony nex 5 with the 16mm 2.8 at 3200iso are very evenly match. You make up the 1 stop of iso at 3200 that the sony has with 1 stop of aperture that the 20mm 1.7 has.

I would go with the epl1 with the panny lens, giving it image stabilization and much sharper images. That you do not get with the sony.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:12 AM   #10

Here is the epl-1 with just dim room lighting, at 1600iso with the panasonic 20mm 1.7 at 1.7. The blur on the side is the shallow dof with the big aperture.
Attached Images