Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:22 PM   #21

Hehe Hards80

Andysly5 show your wife www.snapchick.com and she may change her mind about photography being a simple point and shoot trick! It certainly worked for me.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysly5 View Post
At this moment I am strongly considering the K-X with the 18-55mm and the 50-200mm. I was also looking at adding a fast prime like the 35mm DA l F2.4. But John has me rethinking that. You think I'd be better off indoors with a flash instead of a prime?
How fast is your child?

Now I'm thinking about it, and I'm a tad out of practice, a flash will help in all areas. I still lean toward natural light, but I do have an old Sunpack that should work for me as a fill flash.
MattZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:10 AM   #23

OK, I'm back. We went to a local electronics store and got to play with the K-X a little. My wife was not too thrilled with the "plasticy" fee of it. Granted, that shouldn't be a major deciding factor but in my world it is. The wife needs to feel we're buying a substantial piece of equipment if we're going to spend such a large sum of money. The K-X just didn't do it for her.

The store also had the Canon T2i. Played with that a bit and was quite impressed. I can take advantage of the deal Amazon has right now that was linked to earlier in this thread and pick up either the 55-250mm lens of the 75-300mm for basically nothing. Total package price would be around $850.

The other choice I've zero'd in on is the new Sony a580. It looks like a major piece of machinery with the new sensor and all the neat features it has. It's so new that nobody near me has it though. Found it online for $899.99.

So, if you were me would you go for the T2i with the 18-55mm kit lens and one of the 2 extra lenses mentioned or the Sony A580 with the basic 18-55mm kit lens for about $899?
andysly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:17 AM   #24

go with the 55-250, the 75-300 is not a good lens. And the 2 lenses will be more useful then only having 1 lens. The a580 is a nice camera, sony's best dslr entry/mid level to date. But the sony 75-300 is also a poor lens. The 70-300G is a much much better lens, but it is 750 dollars.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:40 AM   #25

Thanks shoturtle.....

So your opinion is that for my needs the IQ would be better on the Canon? Or at least equal to the a580?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:41 AM   #26

The Sony appears to be a fine camera - certainly capable of what you need it to do. But a few words of caution before you make either purchase:
1) Your wife needs to be comfortable with the Sony - sounds like she's got brand preferences. I think it's also important given what you've said that she play around with the camera in a store before you buy. Whether it's brand preference that colors her interpretation of ergonomics or the ergonomics themselves doesn't matter. What matters is - both cameras are capable so you go with what makes her happy.

Having said that - remember neither camera with kit lens is going to get you low light shots without flash. And outdoors you're going to want to have a longer lens - so that's an added expense in the Sony route.

In either route, you would have to use the built in flash until you get an external flash. An external flash will greatly improve your flash shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:46 AM   #27

Thanks John. Good to know that I really cannot go wrong either way.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:20 AM   #28

Andysly5,

I was the precise same as yourself. I was strictly a P&S gal then moved up to the G11 which quickly lead to the DSLR. I did a lot of research and reading on line and the end result was that I was familiar and comfortable with Canon so I went with Canon and bought the T1i (T2i wasn't out yet) with the kit lens. I also ended up buying the 55-250 lens, the 50 1.8 and the 15-85 IS USM....plus a 430EX II flash - just acquired.

From a parents perspective with a 3 year old daughter, I can tell you that the 55-250 is absolutely needed! You'll be out in the yard and this will be invaluable. This lens has offered me the opportunity to sit away from the little one but still get the shot. I've also taken some pretty impressive photos of the moon with this lens that you can see great detail.

Everyone's feedback should be taken with what they like. It's a personal choice but JohnG, Hards80 and Shoturtle are 100% right. All are capable and fine camera's. But you have to feel comfortable with the camera on all levels...which is why I chose Canon.

On a side note, I shot with the 50 1.8 in low light of my daughter as she's sleeping and it takes nice photos a regular P&S won't. Now....if there was action involved in low light then perhaps a flash would be needed to capture it. As JohnG stated, the DSLR isn't a miracle worker. It's only as good as the lens and the operator. It will take practice but you'll get lots of that with your little one Also, the kit lens on the Canon is vastly improved over previous years and will certainly perform well for you until you get a better handle on shooting style, distance, preference, etc....if you went the Canon route.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:37 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
The other choice I've zero'd in on is the new Sony a580. It looks like a major piece of machinery with the new sensor and all the neat features it has. It's so new that nobody near me has it though. Found it online for $899.99.
It's just now hitting dealer shelves. http://www.adorama.com and http://www.sonystyle.com have it in stock, so more dealers should follow soon.

Quote:
So, if you were me would you go for the T2i with the 18-55mm kit lens and one of the 2 extra lenses mentioned or the Sony A580 with the basic 18-55mm kit lens for about $899?
Personally, I'd go with the Sony. But, I already shoot with a Sony dSLR (A700), using a variety of Minolta AF mount lenses with it, including a Konica Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-105mm f/4-5.6 IF, Minolta 28mm f/2, Minolta 50mm f/1.7, Minolta 100mm f/2, Minolta 135mm f/2.8, Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, Minolta 35-70mm f/4 Macro, and even a Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 Series 1 APO Autofocus lens I bought for $79 brand new in the box. They all Autofocus and are all stabilized on a Sony dSLR body. So, I'm probably a bit biased in that direction. :-)

The A580 looks like it's going to be a really nice camera with neat new features (upgraded Autofocus system, Sweep Panorama, 1080i/60 video and more), at a lower price point compared to models like the Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000 using similar 16MP CMOS sensors.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:28 PM   #30

With a budget,the canon does fit better. IQ are all about the same with the maturing of aps-c. But like johng said, you will want to add a flash, and learn to shoot a bounce flash.

I just think you will find that not having the long lens will be confiding. The 18-55 are good kit lenses, but they are rather short at times.

nissin di622,metz 48 or the canon ex 430II are all good flashes for the canon, the nissin is the least expensive.

Quote:
Thanks shoturtle.....

So your opinion is that for my needs the IQ would be better on the Canon? Or at least equal to the a580?