Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:57 PM   #31

Well, thank you to all of you for your input and advice. I appreciate it!

With sony putting the a580 on sale today it was too good a deal to pass up. I just submitted my order with B&H. They're out of stock right now but hopefully that changes very soon. I also picked up a 16gig sdhc card and a flower hood.

My plan is to pick up a 55-200mm come spring time. As Shutterbug said, having a zoom in the yard with a playing child will be a necessity. I'll look to add a flash at some point as well.

Again, thanks for your help in choosing my first dslr. I'll be back often to let you critique my shots and teach me some lessons!

Andy
andysly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:18 AM   #32

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:48 AM   #33
Administrator

Congrats! That should be a really nice camera. BTW, both adorama.com and sonystyle.com have the A580 kits in stock now.

http://www.adorama.com/ISODSLRA580L.html

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...8&N=4294951458

The body only is still out of stock, but the kits are available.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:43 AM   #34

Finally got my a580 from Crutchfield. I had ordered it through B&H but after a week of waiting I contacted them on Monday to ask for an ETA on their stock. They told me they had no idea if it would be in even by the holidays. At the same time I found it in stock at Crutchfield so I canceled my order and called Crutchfield. It arrived yesterday.

WOW! I am really impressed with this unit. Granted, I have no experience with a DSLR but I do know my way around gadgets. The a580 feels really well built. It has some heft to it but to me that's a positive.

I played with some of the features while sitting in my dimly lit living room. Loved the menu layout and various shooting modes. AF was very responsive. Live view was great. The HDR was nice.

All in all, after handling the camera for about an hour I am happy with my purchase. I hope to get out this weekend to take some shots of my son and really see what the cam can do.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:53 AM   #35
Administrator

Congrats. Yes, stock has been a bit "spotty" so far, and it looks like demand has been exceeding supply (for example, Adorama.com had them in stock and now shows them back ordered again). But, that's typical for a brand new model (especially this time of year, as it's usually the busiest for retailers).

Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote