Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:30 PM   #1

Default First DSLR: Ti2 or something else?

edit: errrr I meant T2i

I am finally making the leap from my Canon a620 p&s to a DSLR with a budget of approximately $800-900. I have no experience with manual shooting but I am interested in learning. My wife has no interest in that at all and wants a camera that she can point & shoot with on auto. Her only demand is that it take great photos and last us a LONG time. It needs to be something that will last as I don't think I'll be "authorized" to make another camera purchase by the wife any time soon .

We have a 4.5 year old son who will be the subject of 90% of our shots. I know we need exceptional low light capabilities.I am thinking of adding a 55mm f/1.8 for low light shooting (thinking specifically about Christmas morning shots in a dimly lit living room). My wife does not want a Pentax because it doesn't have the name recognition for her. Also, please note that video is nice but by no means a necessity in our purchase.

I've done extensive reading here and elsewhere and I had it narrowed down to the T2i, T1i, Sony a550. We're looking to buy just after Thanksgiving. So, last night I found these deals:

1. T1i with the 18-55 kit lens plus 55-250 lens for $808. 55mm f/1.8 would add $99. Total cost approx $908.

2. T2i with the 18-55 kit lens for $849.99. 55mm f/1.8 would add $99. Total cost approx $950.

3. Sony a550 with 18-55 kit lens $599.99. 55mm f/1.8 would add $129. Total cost approx $730.

What do you all think? Do I go with the T2i and stretch my budget a little? Would I be just as happy with a T1i and an extra lens? Is the Sony a better move to stay within my budget? Or is there another camera within this range that I haven't considered yet?

Thanks very much for your advice.

Andy

Last edited by andysly5; Nov 14, 2010 at 3:31 PM. Reason: screwed up the title
andysly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:23 PM   #2

Hi there,
though nt an xpert but Canon T2i is an xcellent choice,and for the future it has a great selection of lenses too.However If I were making a choice I would get the Pentax K-r with the 18-55 & 55-300 lens around $900 (I know Pentax is nt a preferred option)
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:47 PM   #3

First, don't expect any 'Black Friday' deals. That kind of thing doesn't happen for dSLRs.

Second, the supply of the a550 is drying up, so you may want to rethink your timeline.

Third, can you expand on how you narrowed your selection this far?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysly5 View Post
. I know we need exceptional low light capabilities.I am thinking of adding a 55mm f/1.8 for low light shooting (thinking specifically about Christmas morning shots in a dimly lit living room). My wife does not want a Pentax because it doesn't have the name recognition for her.

I've done extensive reading here and elsewhere and I had it narrowed down to the T2i, T1i, Sony a550. We're looking to buy just after Thanksgiving. So, last night I found these deals:
Well, I would revisit this subject with your wife because of the simple fact that Pentax is going to be like Nikon in the simple fact that there are a ton of manual focus lenses, and in fact better support for older lenses than Nikon. It's going to have the identical benefit the Sony A550 has in terms of body based stabilization vs both Canon and Nikon that employ image stabilization in the lenses. I believe they offer HD recording.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...ensor-rankings

As far as dual lens kit offerings go, I lean toward Nikon for a 200mm zoom, or the Pentax 55-300mm zoom.

Pentax IMHO has a bit of an edge because they make their digital lenses for APC-C format, where Canon and Nikon make them for full-frame. You can get the K-R in your budget, or the K-X with the 18-55 and 55mm-300mm for ~$750, and still have room for a fast prime 50mm.

This is not a digital lens, but look at the SMC FA 50mm f1.4, which would act like a nice portrait lens as would the SMC DA 55mm f1.4 at roughly twice the price. Even going FA it isn't no $100 lens, but it is a bargain at $350. Really!
See http://vimeo.com/9510574

Both the K-X and K-R are fantastic in terms of low light performance in this budget range. Thus if you can swing it,
K-R w/ 18-55mm + FA 50mm f1.4 ~$1120
K-X w/18-55mm & 55-300mm + FA 50mm f1.4 ~$1040
K-X w/18-55mm & 50-200mm + FA 50mm f1.4 ~$929
K-X w/18-55mm + FA 50mm = ~$834
AFAIK all the above offer 720P video.

The Sony a550 will likely be on par with the Pentax k-x for low light conditions, better live view, view finder a tad awkward though.
MattZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:00 PM   #5

I should add my DSLR is going to be the k-x, ordered with the base dual lens kit around $570ish or so, which qualifies me for the $450 rebate on the Epson R1900 a3+ printer, which I plan to sell as I already have an Epson 2200 I'm really happy with.

But even if you go Sony, or Canon, That printer deal is good for just about any major DSLR. Keep it just to do the odd 13x19 print, sell it, whatever. It's effectively only $25-$50 above and beyond the camera cost.
MattZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:03 PM   #6

Thanks for your input.

TCav, I narrowed down my list first by reading alot of the threads here to try to educate myself on what I should look for. Then, I looked at price and looked for the best camera within my budget. Knowing the limitations I had (budgetary constraints, must be Sony, Canon or Nikon, low light) I started comparing.

Today I discovered Snapsort.com which compares cameras on a variety of criteria. That site told me that the T2i would be the way to go. But, I know that there are alot of knowledgable people here so I wanted to see if I am on the right track.

Matt, I just don't think the KX is a better camera than the T2i. Yes, it's a better "value" considering the lower price. However, what I am searching for is the best camera/lens setup for IQ in my budget.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:10 PM   #7

Snapsort can be misleading because there are always tons of features on cameras you never use. What you should be most concerned about is image quality i.e. do the pictures come out looking what you want them to look like. I suggest going on www.imagingresource.com and comparing images from different cameras side by side.

I am personally very happy with my Nikon but the KX should not be discarded as an option. Its actually better for images than the T2i but Canon just are better for video. You should base your decision based on what you want and need by looking at image quality or video quality rather than specifications.

Canon is notorious at misleading by specifications like 18 mp images - makes you think its the best.. what it doesn't consider is images from a 12mp camera often look better with less noise.

Best of luck in your choice. Even if you do go with Canon, look at Xsi, in my opinion it had way better image quality even if it is older. And although ISO maybe limited to 1600, most people will not shoot at higher iso unless they have a great new and more expensive camera such as the Nikon D7000.

Last edited by Lilacfire; Nov 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:28 PM   #8

Yes, the T2i is a better camera than the T1i. (That's why it costs more.) But a T1i with a 55-250 IS lens is better than a T2i without one when you need it. And with a small child running around outside, I think that will happen often.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:47 PM   #9

Hi Andy,

Of the cameras you are considering, there are really no dogs. You will get a good camera from your list - no matter what.

The reason why I am posting is that a week or so ago, I ran across the snapsort.com site and posted it here, and I think I see how folks are using it (and I have no association with it). I was just going to point out, that if you are going to use it, you should take a look at what goes into the scoring.

Popularity
counts for a difference of 45 points
Movie Format counts for a difference of 41.3 points
So that is a total of 86.3 points to Canon's benefit (Pentax's total on these items was 38.7).

So Canon has 271.9 to Pentax's 212.

You indicated that movies you do not care about, and if you are looking for the best camera, does the heard of folks really count that much in your selection? If not, then remove the 86.3 points and that provides Canon with 185.6 to Pentax's 173. The scoring tightens up.

There is one additional small point. Lenses - Canon has image stabilization in the lens while Pentax has in body stabilization. Pentax picks up 20 points for stabilization to zero for Canon. Canon, essentially doubles up on lenses, some lenses with stabilization others with out. Of Canon's 149 lenses only 28 of them are (essentially) stabilized, while all 84 of Pentax lenses are stabilized. Also, for instance if you are interested in a stabilized wide angle lens, Canon does not make them - impossible to get from Canon. The lenses count for a 6 point difference.

Also, in the interest of fairness, the site does not score on Auto Focus probably because there is no qualitative method to judge this that is available on the web. Canon does have better Auto Focusing and tracking than Pentax.

So, if you are indeed looking at just the raw score, you might be a bit misled. Scoring criteria does help, however - you really need to peel them back and see what goes into them to get a good sense of what they are attempting to relate.

Last edited by interested_observer; Nov 14, 2010 at 8:57 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:34 PM   #10

Hmm, GREAT info from all of you. Especially the breakdown of Snapsort. THANK YOU!

I guess I need to go back and really take a closer look at the kx.