Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:35 AM   #1

Default DSLR for christmas?

I have been thinking bout purchasing a DSLR sometime shortly before or after christmas, but maybe sooner if there are any good sales.

I have had some point and shoots before, but I would like to try out the DSLR field. I would really be looking for something to take on vacations, and that would be a lot of achitecture, landscape sort of stuff, maybe some nature shots as well. I am not really all that terribly serious about photograpy beyond travel shots and maybe the occasional nature shot and would not be looking to aquire external flashes, large number of lenses, or other accesories commonto more serious photographers. I would like to cover lengths at least as great as 300mm. I have been looking mostly at the pentax and sony offerings for their in-body stabilization, but have recently learned about the 4/3 cameras that also have in-body, from companies like olympus and panasonic, maybe I will look at them as well.

I have been looking at the Pentax K-r, and K-x, but leaning toward the K-r. For Sony I have been interested in the a55, or something from the upper a500 series (560 or 580) not sure the difference between the 2.

I like the smaller size of the a55 and dont think that the EFV would be a negative for me, but one requirement is that it must have some sort of viewfinder, which I think rules out the micro 4/3rds cameras like the PEN.

I havnt tried out any of the cameras in a store except for the a55 which I found favorable.

I would really appreciate some suggestions about the cameras I have mentioned, and help in deciding what to buy.

I havnt really looked at the 4/3rd cameras seriously, but I might if they would better fit my requirements, but my focus is on the APS-c cameras for now.

Thanks a bunch!
forgotmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:11 AM   #2

For what you want to do, if you want to hit the ground running, you might be better off with a Nikon. The Nikon 18-55 kit lens has less chromatic aberrration and slightly less distortion and vignetting than the kit lenses from other manufacturers, so it would perform better for architecture and landscape photography.

Have you considered any of the Nikon bodies?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotmyname View Post
I havnt really looked at the 4/3rd cameras seriously, but I might if they would better fit my requirements, but my focus is on the APS-c cameras for now.

Thanks a bunch!
From my limited understanding 4/3rds is on it's way out. Micro 4/3rds is in, though 4/3rds lenses "might" work on micro 4/3rds. Hypothetically less glass, less cost. Some micro 4/3s format cameras have IS.

I'm going to agree with TCav, Nikon has some very nice kit lenses.

I didn't go Pentax K-R for budget reasons. If I had the budget, I'd go at least K-R with the 18-55mm..55-300mm Maybe pickup a 50mm for general use.

One big deal is with a DSLR you can buy the Epson R1900 and get a $450 rebate, which covers all but $25-$50 of the printer. Keep it, sell it, whatever.
MattZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:07 AM   #4

for what you have mention, any of the camera will work find, pentax or sony.

The other thing you mention wanting a 300mm reach. The pentax 2 lens kit comes with a good 300mm zoom for general photography. Very sharp at 300mm. The sony does not offer a 300mm in a consumer grade. The 70-300G is 700 dollars. And the 3rd party 70-300mm form sigma and tamron are not good lenses, very soft form 200-300mm.

The panasonic G2 and G10 has evf, but they are not great for low light shooting like indoor shots. If you were planning to shoot indoors. Gets noise at 800iso, and very noise pass 1250iso.

Quote:
I have been thinking bout purchasing a DSLR sometime shortly before or after christmas, but maybe sooner if there are any good sales.

I have had some point and shoots before, but I would like to try out the DSLR field. I would really be looking for something to take on vacations, and that would be a lot of achitecture, landscape sort of stuff, maybe some nature shots as well. I am not really all that terribly serious about photograpy beyond travel shots and maybe the occasional nature shot and would not be looking to aquire external flashes, large number of lenses, or other accesories commonto more serious photographers. I would like to cover lengths at least as great as 300mm. I have been looking mostly at the pentax and sony offerings for their in-body stabilization, but have recently learned about the 4/3 cameras that also have in-body, from companies like olympus and panasonic, maybe I will look at them as well.

I have been looking at the Pentax K-r, and K-x, but leaning toward the K-r. For Sony I have been interested in the a55, or something from the upper a500 series (560 or 580) not sure the difference between the 2.

I like the smaller size of the a55 and dont think that the EFV would be a negative for me, but one requirement is that it must have some sort of viewfinder, which I think rules out the micro 4/3rds cameras like the PEN.

I havnt tried out any of the cameras in a store except for the a55 which I found favorable.

I would really appreciate some suggestions about the cameras I have mentioned, and help in deciding what to buy.

Thanks a bunch!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:30 PM   #5

I have not looked at Canon or Nikon cameras based on a belief (perhaps untrue) that the cameras are heavier and the lenses heavier and more expensive than other brands, however if this is not true I would consider them. Are there any Nikon kits that have a 300mm reach lens?

I am leaning more toward the K-r and am looking for a local store that stocks them to go look at one. I like the specs, and also really like the 6fps burst speed.

shoturtle--that is rather discouraging news about sony's lack of a good fairly inexpensive 300mm reach lens. I had really been favorably impressed by the a55. I have heard good things about the K-r kit lens and that is another plus for that camera.

Thank you for the advice and help so far!
forgotmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:18 PM   #6

Sony's 75-300 lens is not very good, but the same can be said of Canon's or Nikon's equivalent lenses. And while both Canon and Nikon have better lenses in the same range, theirs isn't as good as Sony's 70-300'G', but they cost less.

So a Nikon body with the 18-55 kit lens will do your architecture and landscape photography nicely, and yes, there's a Nikon 70-300 VR that will do your telephoto work well.

As for Pentax, their 55-300 isn't as good as Nikon's 70-300 VR.

And while Canon has good lenses too, their bodies have a slightly smaller sensor and so a slightly narrower angle of view, making them less suitable for your architecture and landscape photography.

I'd take a good look at the Nikon D3100 or D5000.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:18 PM   #7

If you shoot jpeg, nix the d3100 it does not shoot a ev bracket. can be a major disadvantage in tricky lighting or if you plan on getting into hdr.

While the pentax 55-300 is not as good as the canon 70-300IS or the nikon 70-300VR. In kit form it is sub 200 dollars. And is a good consumer grade lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:55 AM   #8

With so many HDR programs out there, auto hdr being one, you can often do hdr with 1 image instead of 3 now.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:50 AM   #9

It is not the same with 1 jpeg hdr, the multiple layer ones always work better. 1 jpeg ones are more of a tone mapping then true HDR.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:35 PM   #10

Quote:
I have been thinking bout purchasing a DSLR sometime shortly before or after christmas, ...
In the past, I've made the mistake of waiting till after Christmas to buy cameras/lenses thinking that prices would drop but on the contrary, prices just kept going up and up once Xmas was over. There's a lot of demand before Xmas and retailers tend to lower their prices as much as they can to stay competitive. So, you should get the best deals between now and Xmas. Once the Holiday is over, retailers bump up their prices, specially the ones with stock on hand.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote