Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:32 PM   #1

Default Nikon upgrade

I have used a Nikon D40X since 2007. It is a great camera, but it does have it's limitations. To sum it up, there have been three phases of my relationship with this camera; a happy beginning, a slight disappointment in the middle with the limits to autofocus on certain lenses, and then deciding to be content with the addition of a new lens. Photography is a hobby for me. I enjoy portrait and nature photography. I mostly use manual mode and own two additional lenses for my camera. I've read a few articles about DX vs FX. I'm trying to decide if I want to continue to purchase DX lenses for my camera or if I should maybe upgrade to a newer Nikon. If so, which one? The D3 is way out of my reach and too big for carrying on a hike in the woods. If I upgrade should I spend the extra money on the FX format? Will my DX lenses work on the FX format camera (I assume that it will be cropped as in DX format)? Any help is appreciated!
adf1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:03 PM   #2

A d90 should suit you well, assuming you can't afford the d7000 (as most can't). Still an awesome camera and it has an built in focus motor so you can use all current Nikon AF lenses. I think it runs for about $800 these days.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:10 PM   #3

Hi,

As far as I know DX lenses cause heavy vignetting on FX cameras but you can use them.

In contrast to absolutely going with a full frame, I think a D7000 is a great camera with a built in motor so you have compatibility towards older DX lenses. If you're stretched for cash, a D90 is a good pickup now on clearance sale and is no slouch either. If I had the money I would have gone with a D7000 but a D90 forced me to compromise and I've been happy. I like you do a lot of portraits and nature photography.

The D90 and the D7000 come with an 18-105mm VR lens which is honestly a great walkaround lens. Its sharp at wide angle and at telephoto, and covers like 90% of the focal lengths usually needed for us. My only gripe with it is it comes with a plastic mount and not a metal mount like the 18-200mm VR lens.

If your budget really allows it and you really feel the need to go full frame.. well a D700 and a tamron 28-75mm might be a good start but I would still lean towards the D7000 personally. I suggest you try them out in a store before deciding.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:29 PM   #4

If it's just a hobby there is nothing in FX (IMHO) that you really need... I'd suggest
going for a D90 (prices are real good right now) or if you want to go all out go for
the D7000...

One advantage with sticking DX is that with your DX lenses you won't have to use
crop mode, as you would on an FX, which would negate using FX in the first place...
Also, you gain the increased FOV, example: 100mm on DX gives you the equivelent
FOV as 150mm would on FX...

Also, there's the price advantage, FX is going to be a bit more expensive... The D7000
is proving to be a pretty good match for the D700, depending on point of view... Here
are the latest DXOMark Scores for Nikon if your into that sort of thing...

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...ensor-rankings

And then there is size and weight... The D90 and D7000 have the advantage there as
well...

There are all sorts of positive reviews of the D7000 that you can find with a google
search...

If money is tight the D90 is a top notch choice... If you want to go with the latest
and greatest tech for just a little more cash then go for the D7000...

Again, JMHO... Others may feel differently...

Edit:
D90 is running just under $800 USD Body only most places...

D7000 is $1200 USD body only but inventory is low at the moment most places...

With the holiday season approaching there hopefully will be plenty of stock available
for both and with luck many deals for both as well...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 15, 2010 at 5:39 PM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:05 PM   #5

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. This really helps narrow down my search. I had counted the D90 out before because I didn't know if it would be worth the upgrade. But, I have read lots of great reviews on the D90 and your suggestions have really opened my eyes to it. I think that the D90 will serve my purpose well, but the D7000 does have a few features that I like. Now I'm just trying to weigh their value and if it is worth the extra money (and a longer wait to save a little bit more) to have the more high tech camera over the more practical camera. I appreciate the help and when I decide I will definitely post what I chose and why. Thanks again!
adf1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:11 PM   #6

The d7000 really is a beast. If you think you can get it I would. Not to say the d90 isn't good (heck, the d80 is still awesome). But the d7000 is really the camera being talked about right now.

Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:57 PM   #7

Very true mrpete. I would love to own a D7000, but I'm currently happy. Maybe in 2-3 years I'll pick it up as well.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:05 PM   #8

Yea, I think that is what everyone is saying. the d90 is pretty much as good as it gets (nikon wise) besides the d7000 so I think you made the right choice lilacfire.

Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:01 PM   #9

Realistically, if you already own a D90 there's no good reason to upgrade, unless
money doesn't matter to you...

In 2-3 years there will probably be an upgrade to the D7000 and then it would be
wise to upgrade the D90 as it would then be worth the jump in technology... Unless
of course the D90 still gives you everything you want and then there's really no reason
to upgrade then either...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:23 PM   #10

A good rule of thumb is to skip a version (unless you are a pro or it's been years since the last update). This applies for everything and saves money in the long run. Like jumping from VHS to hard drive storage. Normally there is significant enough reason by that time to make the purchase worthwhile.