Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:23 PM   #41

The A580 is a good camera but a bit more expensive then the T2i an K-r as it is a higher grade camera and it has HD, the A550 and A500 are good camera just no HD and not as many features as the k-r or T2i like mirror lockup. The A3xx and A2xx are not that good,
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:42 AM   #42

Disregarding HD or mirror lock up etc, is the IQ of Sony A550/500 at par with the t2i or k-r ?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:52 AM   #43
Administrator

Personally, I like the A500 and A550 models.

The A580 should be even nicer (new 16MP sensor with even better high ISO speed performance, updated AF system, 1080i/60 HD Video, Sweep Panorama, and more).

BTW, I noticed that the A580 is on sale now ($100 off) at sonystyle.com. They have the kits with an 18-55mm lens in stock for $799, but no body only available yet (still out of stock for just the body, shown listed at a sale price of $699).

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...8&N=4294951458
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:59 AM   #44

They are very close in IQ, the sony's are larger then the t2i and K-r. So if you are okay with the size, the A580 is a nice option. But if you want lower price lenses down the line, the canon offers the best lens option. The A550 and A500 and the pentax k-x uses the same 12mp sensor. And it is very good, they have better noise control then the canon, and the canon has better pixel sharpness. So IQ is splitting hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Disregarding HD or mirror lock up etc, is the IQ of Sony A550/500 at par with the t2i or k-r ?

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:12 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The A550 and A500 and the pentax k-x uses the same 12mp sensor. And it is very good, they have better noise control then the canon, and the canon has better pixel sharpness. So IQ is splitting hair.
The A550 uses a 14MP CMOS sensor, similar to the one in the Sony NEX-3, NEX-5 and A33 models, only the latest version of Sony's 14MP CMOS Sensor used in the newest models appears to be a little bit better.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:28 PM   #46

Opps, I forgot the A550 was a 14mps, I forgot that it was not a exmor on the A550. But iq as an end product of all the camera's listed are very very close.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:42 PM   #47
Administrator

Under $1K (before any shipping or taxes anyway). :-).

Sony A580 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DT SAM lens (about the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-82.5mm lens on a 35mm camera) on sale for $799.99
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666266164

Used Minolta Maxxum AF 70-210mm f/4 Macro Lens with hood and caps in EX condition for $189 from keh.com (a reputable vendor with conservative grading, a great return policy, plus a 60 day warranty on most used gear including this Minolta lens), giving you about the same angle of view you'd have using a 105-315mm lens on a 35mm camera, and it would be stabilized on the A580, thanks to the camera body's stabilization system.
http://www.keh.com/camera/Minolta-Ma...00006500J?r=FE

That combo would give you 16 Megapixels with great high ISO speed performance using the latest Sony 16MP CMOS Sensor, so you could even crop a shot taken at 210mm with the Minolta zoom so that it looks like you were using a 400mm lens (same angle of view you'd have using a 600mm lens on a 35mm camera) and still have more than 4 Megapixels left over after the crop, with a lens that's much brighter than consumer grade 70-210mm lenses (most are only f/5.6 on their longer end, and that Minolta lens is twice as bright with f/4 available on it's longer end), with the new Sony A580's better high ISO speed performance helping to make those lenses more versatile in more conditions.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:37 PM   #48

Thank U ,JimC,

Does this mean that U would rate The A580 higher than the T2i and the K-r ? Secondly, it is usually said that higher mps does nt mean better IQ due to cramping of mps on a limited sized sensor. So does this mean that K-r could have better IQ than the other 2 or is their lens/processor so much better than that of the Pentax ?( Keeping the lens 18-55 constant for all being discussed). Is there any other camera which could b added for discussion falling in the same level/grade?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:39 AM   #49

The D90 perhaps? Video quality, HD etc don't matter and b disregarded when making a recommendation pl.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:49 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Thank U ,JimC,

Does this mean that U would rate The A580 higher than the T2i and the K-r ? Secondly, it is usually said that higher mps does nt mean better IQ due to cramping of mps on a limited sized sensor. So does this mean that K-r could have better IQ than the other 2 or is their lens/processor so much better than that of the Pentax ?( Keeping the lens 18-55 constant for all being discussed). Is there any other camera which could b added for discussion falling in the same level/grade?
You really have to take each sensor on a case by case basis, as each new generation of sensors tends to have improvements in other areas that can offset the pixel density. The Pentax K-x and K-r models use a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor that is very good. Nikon uses a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor in some of their models, too (as does Sony in the A500). There are some differences between IQ between models using them, though (due to AA filter differences, pre-preprocessing of raw data, and more).

What you want to shoot also comes into the equation (some may do better at higher ISO speeds compared to others), and the newer 16MP Sony sensor is very good (even better than the 12MP and 14MP Sony CMOS Sensors from images I've seen so far). The new Pentax K-5 also uses a Sony 16MP CMOS Sensor.

One way to compare images is using the comparometer feature at http://www.imaging-resource.com (use the "Compare Sample Images" link on the left side of the main page). They have a number of samples from these cameras available. When comparing high ISO images (studio scene, mannequin in tungsten lighting), look at the shadow areas closely (for example, on the neck under the chin on the mannequin), as noise will be higher in areas that don't get as much light.