Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:34 PM   #11
Administrator

B&H has a good deal on a two lens K-x Kit right now. See here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._SLR_with.html

Most users really seem to like the camera. It's not going to have fast Autofocus Live View or Tilting LCD like you'd get with the Sony A500 (Sony is the only brand that will give you faster Phase Detect Autofocus when using Live View), and the viewfinder won't tell you your focus point, which would be irritating to me, but some users don't seem to mind that limitation.

The IQ from the K-x should be very good and it does allow video recording.

Note that the newer K-r may be another option. It actually lets you see the selected focus point in your viewfinder, but Autofocus when using Live View is still going to be very slow, and is best used with non moving subjects (the same thing applies to other dSLR models except for the Sony models with Live View, since the Sony dSLR models with Live View are the only models that allow faster fast detect Autofocus when using it).

If Video is a more important feature compared to Live View, then the Pentax models are pretty good bargains.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 4:44 AM   #12

What do you guys think about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10? It is now on sale at Costco site. Please let me know as I'm planning to buy for Christmas.
chiquito3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
B&H has a good deal on a two lens K-x Kit right now. See here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._SLR_with.html

Most users really seem to like the camera. It's not going to have fast Autofocus Live View or Tilting LCD like you'd get with the Sony A500 (Sony is the only brand that will give you faster Phase Detect Autofocus when using Live View), and the viewfinder won't tell you your focus point, which would be irritating to me, but some users don't seem to mind that limitation.

The IQ from the K-x should be very good and it does allow video recording.

Note that the newer K-r may be another option. It actually lets you see the selected focus point in your viewfinder, but Autofocus when using Live View is still going to be very slow, and is best used with non moving subjects (the same thing applies to other dSLR models except for the Sony models with Live View, since the Sony dSLR models with Live View are the only models that allow faster fast detect Autofocus when using it).

If Video is a more important feature compared to Live View, then the Pentax models are pretty good bargains.
Taking this into consideration makes me like more the Sony. I would like the video feature but I'm not sure of how much advantage I would make of it since the camera is hevier to handle for that porpouse.
But what I would realy like is the Live View because it would make the transition from point and shoot to DSLR more easy; specially for my wife.
Unfortunately the K-r is out of my budget. Is the Live View that bad on the K-x? By the way, is there any place to buy this equipment used from trusted sellers?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:13 AM   #14
Administrator

Contrast Detect AF with a dSLR is quite slow in comparison to Phase Detect Autofocus. It's best used for stationary subjects.

If Live View (using the LCD for framing) is important to you, the Sony dSLR models are going to focus *much* faster than other dSLR models when using live view.

That's because their design makes use of a separate live view sensor in the viewfinder housing (when using live view, this sensor sees the same image that would have been projected to the optical viewfinder), allowing the use of their dedicated 9 point AF sensor assembly for fast Phase Detect Autofocus while in Live View mode. IOW, they can focus just as fast in Live View mode as they do when using the optical viewfinder.

Other dSLR brands with Live View are going to use much slower contrast detect Autofocus via the image seen by the main imaging sensor, or will need to flip the mirror back in front of the main sensor (blocking the live view feed while Autofocusing) to use their dedicated Phase Detect AF sensors.

I'd make sure to try out any models you consider in a store if you think you'll want Live View.

If you plan on using Live View for moving (versus stationary subjects), I'd suggest looking at one of the Sony models like the A500. You'll see a link to a cutout on their product pages explaining how it's Fast Autofocus Live View system works (by use of a mirror that redirects the image normally seen through the optical viewfinder to a dedicated Live View sensor). That way, they have fast Phase Detect Autofocus without interrupting the live view feed.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665970151

I'd make sure to try out Live View in a store with models you consider if that's an important feature. Only the Sony dSLR models are going to give you fast Phase Detect Autofocus when using Live View.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:39 AM   #15

Ok, so now I'm trying to decide between the Sony A500 and the Pentax K-x.
I think that Live View is important for me but I haven't actually tried any of the cameras to make sure that I would use it that much since of the weight of the camera. I could get to the nearest Sony sotore end try one of them, but I don't think I could get any store that have the Pentax here in Puerto Rico.
How do people manage not seeing the focus point on the K-x, I mean how do you select or chanche to a different focus point?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:46 AM   #16
Administrator

You can set the K-x to use Center Point only in the menus (or another focus point if desired), or let the camera choose it for you.

Some users just set it to center point, then lock focus with a half press and reframe if needed. That's one approach. But, from my perspective, I'd want a camera with more flexibility in that area (able to choose the focus point without using menus, with the viewfinder showing me the focus points selected).

The new K-r gets around that issue (shows you the active focus point in the Viewfinder) if it's an issue to you (and some users are fine with the way the K-x works).
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:29 AM   #17

I'm going crazzy making my descicion!!!!!!!
I do like the K-x, because of all the rave reviews and the color options that my wife will surely like, but what keeps me from making the final descion is the Live View issue. I also like the Sony A500 for its Live View, but the no video keeps me thinking.
Is the picture quality and ease of use the same on both these models for a complete novice?
Which would be the better choice when I want to add budget new and/or used lenses?
Do the Live View iauto focus too bad in the K-x or it is only notiaceble for moving objects?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by chiquito3; Dec 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:44 AM   #18

I owned the Sony A-500 and the Pentax Kx and ended up selling the Pentax Kx because I like the Sony A-500 so much more. It was not a hard choice at all. Performance-wise, at least for me the A-500 was clearly the better camera.

here is a bounce flash photo of my husband, taken with the A-500:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...6_nox3e-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:52 AM   #19

Hello Sarah, nice to meet you.
I've read a lot of your post and have always like your comments.
Could you please elaborate a little more on both models just to help me make my final descision?
Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:39 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquito3 View Post
...I also like the Sony A500 for its Live View, but the no video keeps me thinking.
You could always spend a bit more and buy a Sony A560 or A580 (but, only the A580 is shipping in the U.S. right now, with the A560 delayed a bit). With the A580, you'd have fast Autofocus Live View, a nice tilting LCD, an upgraded Autofocus sytem, a newer 16MP CMOS Sensor design *and* Video. ;-)

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666266164

It looks like it's backordered at sonystyle.com right this minute (but, it's been in stock off and on since released). But, if you shop around, some of the other vendors have had them in stock.