Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:53 AM   #21

That is way over of my budget! Remember this is my first DSLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You could always spend a bit more and buy a Sony A560 or A580 (but, only the A580 is shipping in the U.S. right now, with the A560 delayed a bit). With the A580, you'd have fast Autofocus Live View, a nice tilting LCD, an upgraded Autofocus sytem, a newer 16MP CMOS Sensor design *and* Video. ;-)

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666266164

It looks like it's backordered at sonystyle.com right this minute (but, it's been in stock off and on since released). But, if you shop around, some of the other vendors have had them in stock.
chiquito3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:11 AM   #22
Administrator

It looks like it would run you about $799 for the A580 kit right now. I've paid that more than that for 2 and 3 Megapixel non-dSLR models in the past (Nikon Coolpix 990, Olympus C-2500L, Epson 3000Z, etc.), and dollars were worth more then, too. lol

It's amazing how much digital camera you can get for your money now, compared to not that long ago.

It's only money. :-)

Yea... I'd try to find stores that have them in stock so you can get your hands on cameras within your budget to see if you like one more over the other. But, I wouldn't wait too long if you're leaning towards the A500, as supplies are probably starting to dry up now that the newer models with video are out. It looks like http://www.bhphotovideo.com still has the A500 kits in stock for $520. But, I don't know how many of them they have left.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:24 AM   #23

chiquito-

You asked me to elaborate on the choice between the Pentax Kx and the Sony A-500. For me the pivotal issue was focusing. The A-500 gave me excellent and quick auto focus in both the LiveView mode and when using the optical view finder. In contrast, the Kx was hopeless when attempting to focus in the LiveView mode, and when using the optical view finder, unless I junked the multi point focusing and went to single point focusing, I had no idea at all where the Kx had actually focused.

Know where the camera focuses exactly is very important to me. So that was a major "plus" for the Sony A-500. Secondly, the lens selection for the A-500 was much better than for the Kx. So, in my final analysis, the clear choice was the Sony A-500.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions. I am always happy to provide more info or personal experiences.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:43 AM   #24

I went to this web site and compared the images from each camera A500 and K-x and I think that the image quality of pictures taken with the K-x were superior when looked at original size.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Last edited by chiquito3; Dec 9, 2010 at 2:45 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:28 AM   #25

chiquito-

No offense intended, but I disagree with you, as a professional digital camera instructor, I think that the A-500 IQ is better. When you add that to the Kx focusing problems, and the lack of good lens choices with the Kx, I still end up liking the A-500 better.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:42 AM   #26

I was also wondering how does the shake reduction of the K-x compares to the steady inside of the A500? I don't plan to buy a tripod so stabilization is very important for me.
Also wich one is a better choice between A500 and A550 if the price is almost the same?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:46 AM   #27

chiquito3 - please check your Private messages.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
chiquito3 - please check your Private messages.
I dont have any private message yet!
I do now!
Thanks

Last edited by chiquito3; Dec 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:39 AM   #29

chiquito-

If you can swing it, get the A-550, as its a better, more fully featured camera. The IS works well on both the A-500 and A-550.

However, in the final analysis, you have to select the camera that you want. Good luck in making that decision.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:45 PM   #30

I finaly decided for the Pentax K-x... but now I need your help to decide which kit would be the best deal for me. I don't see my self buying lenses in the near future so is the 2 lens kit good enough? Which one is a better option 50-200mm or 55-300mm?
My main use would be family activities and vacations, and some experimentation to learn the basics of photography... and who knows maybe try something more advanced.