Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:54 PM   #1

Default Sony a330 or not?

I've been planning to buy my first DSLR on a near future. Costco has the Sony a330 at a $50 discount for a net price of $429 with the 2 lens kit and 8gb card. Do you think I should buy it, or should I wait for a similar deal on a better camera?

Thanks in advance.
chiquito3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:46 PM   #2

No replies yet from the experts?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:02 PM   #3

The A330 is okay, allot better camera's in it's price range.

Pentax k-x just one example. The A330 has a very small viewfinder. Still uses a CCD sensor so you do not want to shoot above 1600iso.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:04 PM   #4

also which lenses?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:05 PM   #5
Administrator

What do you want to shoot and in what conditions?

What two lens kit are you looking at? Sony sometimes bundled it with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. But, some kits have the 18-55mm and 75-300mm lens (not as good as the 55-200mm)

Either way, that's a very good deal on that model, especially considering it's a two lens kit. But, it's been discontinued now, with ergonomics improved a bit with the newer models like the A390.

The 10MP CCD Sensor in the A330 is not the greatest for higher ISO speed use compared to newer models using the 12MP and 14MP CMOS sensors (A500, A550, etc.). So, if you plan on using one in low light without a flash very often, I'd been tempted to look at the A500 instead (which uses a newer 12MP CMOS Sensor design with lower noise at higher ISO speeds).

Note that the A500 is also now discontinued (or to be specific, no longer in production). It's still available at sonystyle.com here (but, it probably won't be for long, as the A500 and A550 are being replaced by newer models (A560, A580) that include HD video recording.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665970151

But, you can find some pretty decent deals on one (lower prices than the sale price at sonystyle.com).

For less than $100 more than that A330 kit you're looking at, you can buy the A500 with the 18-55mm kit lens (only $520 delivered from B&H while supplies last, and B&H is a very reputable vendor).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_12_3_MP.html

It's a bit larger camera. But, it's got better ergonomics, better battery life, larger viewfinder, faster frame rate, higher usable ISO speeds, nifty features like Auto HDR and more. IMO, it's got the best "bang for the buck" out of the Sony dSLR models still available at some vendors if you don't need HD Video recording (missing on models like the A330 and A500, although these models have a great Live View system).

So, if budget permitted, I'd go with the A500 instead (it's about $100 more for a one lens kit compared to the 2 lens kit you're looking at), since B&H has it for $520 delivered while supplies. Then, buy another lens later if you need something longer than the 18-55mm kit lens (and keep in mind that a Sony dSLR model can use any Minolta AF mount lens every made, and they'd be stabilized, thanks to the in body stabilization system) . Used Minolta AF lens are plentiful on the used market, too. (from manufacturers like Minolta, Sigma, Tamron and others). See vendors like keh.com (under the Maxxum 35mm lens section) for lots of choices. Ditto for the used departments at bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com.

IOW, I'd be inclined to spend a bit more for a better body with a single lens now (given the closeout prices I'm seeing on the A500 at vendors like B&H), then add another lens later when budget permits if you decide the 18-55mm won't handle everything you want to shoot (you don't have to buy everything at once). ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:51 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Note that the A500 is also now discontinued (or to be specific, no longer in production). It's still available at sonystyle.com here (but, it probably won't be for long, as the A500 and A550 are being replaced by newer models (A560, A580) that include HD video recording.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665970151

Well... sonystyle.com is now showing backordered status. So, they may or may not get any more of them in.

B&H still has the A500 kits in stock ($520 with free shipping while supplies last).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_12_3_MP.html

Personally, I'd go that route instead if budget permits to you spend another $100 on a kit, since it's a much better camera in a variety of ways compared to the A330.

If you don't care about faster frame rates and using a camera at ISO 1600+, then the A330 kit you're looking at is a pretty good deal at that price from Costco, in a smaller and lighter package compared to the A500. But, because of it's smaller size, some users don't like the ergonomics (grip design is a bit pinched for some hands). I'd make sure to try them out in a store and see what model you're more comfortable with, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:10 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I would agree with both posts. If at all possible I would spend a little bit more and move up to either the 500 if you wish to stick with Sony, or check out the Pentax KX, which is at a great value now as well. Both will give you better IQ, most notably at higher ISO, and a bigger VF.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:35 AM   #8

Thanks to all of you for your susgestions, unfortunatelly Costco don't have the camera anymore. Yesterday they posted the new model A390 on sale for $529 with the two lenses. For that kind of money I'm sure there should be a better deal. This would be my first DSLR and I'm looking for ease of use, picture quality, portability and low light performance.
Does that camera exist in my budget range up to $500 bundled with 2 lenses?

To tell you a little more about myself: I was originally looking at the super zoom cameras but seen that the price for a great performer was almost or even more than the price for an entry level DSLR I decided to go that way. I know that the lens that come with the bundles ar not as powerfull as the ones in the superzoom cameras but the picture quality and low light performance is twice superior on the entry level DSLR, so I decided to go the DSLR way. And in future I could ad any lens I want even the powerfull range ones.

Last edited by chiquito3; Dec 6, 2010 at 8:16 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:43 AM   #9

Ok guys the Pentax got my attention because of the added feauture of video recording. How would you compare the sony A500 and the Pentax K-x? How easy and affordable it is to get additional lens for either one? How does the Pentax Shake Reduction compare with the stabilization of Sony or other brands?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Last edited by chiquito3; Dec 6, 2010 at 9:49 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:19 AM   #10

I saw that Adorama has a few bundles on the Pantax K-x with diferent body colors. It seems that the non so PRO colors are at a better deal. I'm ok with the electric blue color. Any suggestions?