Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1

Default P&S recommendations- help, please!

I have spent days now reading reviews and it's making my head spin! Someone please just tell me what camera to buy!

I have had a Canon SD1000 for about 2 years. Recently, I got critical lens error message and it won't turn on at all, so it's time to upgrade.

I have zero interest in photography as a hobby, I just want to take decent pictures of my kid!

My needs:
1) Low shutter lag- I have a 3.5 year old. He's the happiest kid in the world, but I currently have hardly any pictures of him smiling b/c my SD 1000 takes so damn long to take pictures. Even when I try to press the button half-way to set up the shot, that only works about half the time.

2) At least 50% of my pictures are taken indoors, so I need a better camera for low light.

3) Decent image quality, but I won't print larger than 5X7 most likely, so probably not a huge factor.

4) Not sure about zoom- have been fine with the amount of zoom on my current camera, which I think is 3X optical. I'm not sure what more zoom would really do for me.

5) Would prefer to spend under $300, under $250 would be excellent.

6) I want the camera to think for me- I know NOTHING about manual controls. I want to turn it on and have it take good pictures!

7) Doesn't have to be teeny-tiny, but needs to fit easily in my purse.

Thanks!
prosan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:51 AM   #2

Check out the Canon SD4000 - $269 shipped at Amazon. It's got a brighter lens than most of the competition which will help it in low light and it also has a good auto mode. I would normally recommend the S95 or LX5 for a low light pocket cam but for 5x7 photos, both are overkill.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Would you definitely say the 4000 over the 4500? I think the main differences are the 4500 takes 1080p video and the 4000 is 720p, but since I have no idea what that really means, it probably doesn't matter, lol. the other is 10X optical zoom vs 3.8.

The reviews are all over the board on both of them, so that's not super helpful.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Super Moderator

the 4000 gives you a wider angle lens, which would be useful for group shots of the family, etc. if you don't need the extra telephoto zoom, then the wider angle of the 4000 would probably come in more handy.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:49 PM   #5

Well my main reason for recommending the SD4000 (instead of the SD4500) was because of the f2.0 lens. Both cameras have the same tiny sensor but the brighter lens on the SD4000 will give you a little edge in low light over the SD4500. True, neither of them will perform at the level fo the S95 or LX5 in low light but for 5x7 photos, I think the difference will be negligible.

I think all of the CMOS cameras - including the SD4000 - produce images that are a bit soft. Otherwise though, I think it produces nice color and does pretty well at ISO 800 for a cam of this type.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:43 PM   #6

Thanks, both of you! I ordered it today. Got a good deal on buydig.com with a free memory card, free shipping, and no tax! Can't wait to try it out!