Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:18 PM   #11

For a entry dslr, you are pricing the OP to a way more expensive system if the OP wants to expand lenses. There is only 1 low price prime lens, that you have, so there is a natural bias. The aF-s 35 1.8. But not everyone want that short of a prime. Some may want a 50mm 1.8 a 28mm 2.8 ad 35mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4 or 28mm 1.8 all sub 400 dollar lenses.

And on the IQ spec, they are all very close, canon does better at 1600-6400iso, neither really shoot well past that. So if you factor out the WB and exposure difference. You are splitting hairs on the difference.

But having shoot all the brands, canon, nikon, pentax and olympus. Each brand has it's strength. But the d3100 fall behind for the simple fact that it left out a very very useful EV bracket feature, and that in ability to use low cost lenses that nikon has. So you invest in a high spec body that has misleading specs. And you lock yourself into higher cost lenses.

The pentax is good, but like I mention it is still behind the canon on AF, but head of the nikon entry level. Canon does run circles around the nikon, pentax and sony in AF department in the entry segment. It retain high details, while the other brand suppress noise better by clipping detail. It comes down to what is more important.

This is the entry level, they are all very very close. The T1i might be a tad older then the d3100 but in the real world, is still out preforms the d3100 and the k-x.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:23 PM   #12

Here is a real world noise comparison at high iso between t1i the canon and pentax k-x.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:27 PM   #13

I would just add that the images in the Imaging Resource comparison are all well-lit. This is massively misleading about high ISO comparison. The reality is that high ISO generally looks good in good light, but there's no compelling reason to use it under that circumstance normally. The real question is how ISO compares in low light, where you actually want it. There are genuine differences in low-light performance between cameras. While people argue whether it is in the sensors or the NR algorithms, the differences are real and substantial between cameras when the test conditions reflect what you care to know. The IR photos just don't do that, and so will lead people astray if taken uncritically as a representation of high ISO performance in real-world situations. FWIW

Last edited by tclune; Nov 17, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:29 PM   #14

yup, real world testing with the same subject in real world low light ability is the best way to compare.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:13 AM   #15

Hey again guys.

Thanks for all the info thus far! You all have been really helpful. I am just starting out and I know that everyone has there preferences so its always good to hear both ends of the spectrum. Take everything with a grain of salt is what they always say

I'll definitely check out the Pentax you mentioned. I was looking primarily for a Nikon or a Canon just b/c I am the type that will likely want to switch to either in the future so I thought I might just try to cut out that extra step now before I start collecting lenses that might be unusable in the future. I'm sure its worth a look though so thanks for the suggestion!

I just started a bit more research on the T2i and the D90. I hadn't really considered the T2i much before because I was under the impression that the extra cost was mainly attributed to the camera having better video capabilities and since that isn't a huge issue for me I thought I would be better off with the T1i and saving some money to put towards a lens instead. As for the D90 I hadn't really looked as I thought it was far out of my price range. Its a bit older than I though so maybe it will go on a decent end of year sale

This is an investment for me and I won't spend money just for the sake of spending it. I my budget doesn't allow for the features I would like, I think that I'd much rather save up a bit and purchase a slightly more expensive model that will last me longer before I would like to upgrade. With that said, are the T2i and D90 miles ahead? Enough that they would be worth the price jump?

Since I don't foresee my cash inflow skyrocketing anytime in the near future, Shoturtle pretty much summed up what I am worried about: locking myself in to a good body but with higher priced lenses overall. I've looked over heaps of articles about backwards lens compatibility but it is still quite mid-boggling and that's where I need a bit of guidance.

Would the T2i be the best pick in this case?

Thanks again!!
Kristy
Canada2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:22 AM   #16

If you do not need the video option there is really little separating the t1i and t2i. I would save the money on the higher price body and get a t1i over the t2i. Now if video is really important the T2i has all the bells and whistle to shoot HD video better with external mic options. And better 1080p.

Now after saying that, dslr shooting HD is a pain actually. A good point and shoot actually does HD better then a dslr because it is much easier to use. And you do not have the big aperture jelly effects.

If you are concern with getting stuck into higher price lenses, canon does offer the most budget lens out there way more then the pentax, and the nikon d3100. The D90 comes closer as it can use non motored lenses for nikon.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:24 AM   #17

Also, just to add something quick. A not-so-close-enough-to-borrow-lenses-off-of friend of mine has a Nikon D40 and I love the pictures it takes. So anything comparable to that with video capabilities would be just fine for me... I think
Canada2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:29 AM   #18

the t1i is better then the d40, so is the d90 and k-x in image quality. From when the D40 came out to what the modern dslr can do, is a very large leap. They are all better low light camera.

But the t1i shoots nice 720p and the ok 1080p, t2i shoots nice 720p and 1080p hd. But move the camera really slowly on a dslr when shooting HD it does jelly if you move to quickly. Also use manual focus, auto focus does not work well with HD video.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 18, 2010 at 3:39 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:31 AM   #19

The T1i is a fine camera, and, yes, you're better off putting money toward lenses than the body.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:33 AM   #20

Are they blow up dolls of Lilacfire by any chance? lol
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote