Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:59 AM   #21

If video is not important, then I suggest looking at Olympus E-450 and E-620... I am not in a position of giving recommendations, but from what I have read, these too cameras are really good at taking photos... and they have been praised for their lenses, Olympus 14-42 and 40-150. You can pick these cameras with two lens kit at a very good price. Here is a review about the 14-42 lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...2_3p5-5p6_o20/

and here is a review of E-620:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/

Last edited by whyguru; Nov 18, 2010 at 7:26 AM.
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:23 AM   #22

Just be sure you pick a body that doesn't leave you with buyers regret that you did not get a feature or 2 later on.

The beautiful part of dslr's is you can always pick up another lens later on, but changing the body can make you seem silly.

T2i is a good camera but be sure to compare the noise inbetween the cameras.

[COPYRIGHTED IMAGES REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Please do not embed photos in forum posts here that you did not take yourself and still hold the copyright for. I don't care if other forums ignore members doing that. But, we ask that members here respect copyright (and all photos are copyrighted by the photographer as soon as they are taken, even if you don't see any copyright notices), and only embed images in posts here that they took themselves.

The photos you embedded are from the samples at http://www.imaging-resource.com, and it's not fair to them to use their material here, as that deprives them of revenue from readers of their reviews if readers don't have to go to their site to see those images (due to page hits that impact advertising rates, users viewing and clicking on links to products advertised, etc.).

If members want to see those same samples, and compare images from cameras side by side, they can use the Comparometer at http://www.imaging-resource.com

Another note... we prefer that any images embedded in posts here are no larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side, with file size of no larger than around 250KB. Otherwise, please post a link to them instead. Keep in mind that not everyone has high speed internet access, and some members have bandwidth usage based data plans. So, larger images create more than one problem... slow page load times, inability to see an entire image without scrolling, and increased cost for those members with usage based internet access when larger file sizes are posted.

JimC

Last edited by Lilacfire; Nov 18, 2010 at 8:31 AM.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:18 AM   #23

Interesting so I can't even post proof to support my statement and the fanboys get their way?

Its fine really, I just tried to help but the OP will be the loser here, not me.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:35 AM   #24

The e-620 is a very good camera, but the draw back is the high iso performance. Oly does have the best jpeg engine on the market. So if shooting pass 1600iso is not a big deal. You get some great photos with the e620

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyguru View Post
If video is not important, then I suggest looking at Olympus E-450 and E-620... I am not in a position of giving recommendations, but from what I have read, these too cameras are really good at taking photos... and they have been praised for their lenses, Olympus 14-42 and 40-150. You can pick these cameras with two lens kit at a very good price. Here is a review about the 14-42 lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...2_3p5-5p6_o20/

and here is a review of E-620:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:39 AM   #25

I would not call jim a canon fanboy. He shoots a sony.

There is a sticky not to embed material form other sites, rather to just link it. I link image resources material all the time, I just do not embed.

But reading your post, you sounded more like the fanboy actually. But that is from my reading of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacfire View Post
Interesting so I can't even post proof to support my statement and the fanboys get their way?

Its fine really, I just tried to help but the OP will be the loser here, not me.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:54 AM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
They're not your photos to post.

Again, all you need to do is tell them to use the Comparometer at http://www.imaging-resource.com if they want to compare those same high ISO speed samples side by side (that's where they came from).

You'll see a "Compare Image Samples" choice on the left of their main page. Then, they can select cameras and pick the same ISO speed scenes from each camera.

By republishing their work here, you're potentially depriving them of income (since users wouldn't need to visit their site to see the results of their work).

That's one reason Copyright law exists. ;-)

Also, you can open yourself up to lawsuits by republishing copyrighted material. If the images are registered with the Copyright office, then they can usually sue for both actual and punitive damages (up to $200,000 in punitive damages per copyright infringement in the U.S.).

If they're not registered, then they can usually sue for actual damages.

Keep in mind that they have a lot of expenses to produce those images, including paying multiple reviewers and support staff, expensive lighting setups, server and bandwidth costs for hosting them and more.

So, if readers don't have to visit their site to see those images and draw conclusions about how cameras perform, that deprives them of revenue from advertising rates based on page visits, income from users taking advantage of advertising there and more.

But, bottom line, those are not your images, and our Terms of Service require that you own any material that you post here. See the Intellectual Property section:

http://www.internetbrands.com/ib/ter...om&hasRSS=true

Now, if a Copyright holder gets upset, the member posting that material is likely the one that they're going to sue for unauthorized use of it, not us, since the member posting it is the one republishing copyrighted material here. Now, there are many "gray areas" in Copyright Law, including provisions for Fair Use. But, fair use only goes so far, especially if the content being republished allows readers to draw conclusions without needing to see the original content that was published, and we don't want to be put into a position of judging what is fair use, and what is not.

Our Terms of Service exist for a reason, since we're still going to need to respond to DMCA takedown notices if a Copyright holder complains (and again, *all* images are copyrighted the moment they're taken, whether or not they're registered with the copyright office, and whether or not you see a copyright notice on them), which could open us up to violations of the law under the DMCA if we do not respond to those take down notices in a timely manner. So, by republishing copyrighted material here, you're potentially putting both yourself and Steve's at risk for legal action by the Copyright holders of that content.

IOW, do please do not post images here that you did not take yourself, period.

Even if no copyright law existed (and it does) to protect the author of material (photos, articles, etc.), it would still be a good idea not to use someone's material without their permission, out of courtesy alone.

So here at Steve's, we're going to ask that you do not embed photos that you do not own in forum posts, period.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:45 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:

Fanboy? I think one should look at themselves before throwing around terms like that.

The people with whom you are referring to have a long posting history here, and if you look into that, you will find that term not to hold any water. I can speak for myself that I make my suggestions based off the information in the post, not any brand loyalty, I personally could care less what brand they buy, it impacts me all of zero, I just want them to have the information to get the tool they need. But I will challenge blanket statements that are simply not true. And cherry-picking images and posting illegally as "proof" of your statements is not good evidence, nor helpful at all. Before you arrogantly surmise that you are the only one helping the OP and the rest of us are getting in the way, think about it.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:32 PM   #28

Hello Hards80

What camera/cameras have you used for your photos on your Flickr? very nice photos actually with excellent colors...
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Hello Hards80

What camera/cameras have you used for your photos on your Flickr? very nice photos actually with excellent colors...
I am sure Hard has great "tools", but it is also art and skill that make those wonderful pictures.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:57 PM   #30

Hards shoots a canon 50D and an olympus epl-1. And the camera's mention in your thread are all very very close in IQ. 60D, d7000, and the k-5. It comes down to proper lenses for what you are shooting.

Quote:
Hello Hards80

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 18, 2010 at 5:00 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote