Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:17 PM   #1

Default 'which camera' of course!! High speed/action...

Hi!! I am looking for a point and shoot camera for taking pictures of the dogs in action. I compete with my dogs and need something that can follow the action in both still pictures and video. I have been looking and reading, reading and looking and would like some suggestions from the 'experts'. If I was just taking still pics of inanimate objects, I could figure out a nice camera. But, being my subjects are often moving very fast, I need some assistance!!!

Amanda
azthermal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:04 PM   #2

I would look at the CMOS-based cameras as they can offer faster burst rates than CCD-based cameras. Check specs for full resolution burst mode - the higher the fps the better.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:03 PM   #3

Default re....

Where will is say if it is cmos based?
Amanda
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:22 PM   #4

ok, just did a little reading! I am considering 4 cameras and just checked if they are ccd or cmos based.... Nikon Coolpix S8100 (cmos), Canon Powershot SD1400IS (ccd), Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20 (ccd), Canon SD940 (ccd). I picked these 4 cameras using Consumer Reports latest test results. Thoughts?
Thanks!
Amanda
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:05 PM   #5

Well my first thought is to not rely on anything you read in Consumer Reports regarding cameras. I would definitely use CR if I was looking for a vacuum or a toaster but there are far better sources of information for cameras.

The SD1400 is very portable obviously but consistently gets slammed in user reviews. The S8100 looks very promising but I would Google and see if there are any pro reviews yet since Nikon hasn't done well in the P&S market in recent years. For Canon, I would probably look at the SD4000 or SD4500. For Panasonic, I don't know model #s but they have some CMOS or 3MOS (their own CMOS style sensors) sensor cams as well

FYI, I actually prefer CCD cameras for IQ but the CMOS will give you the burst shots and better video that you are seeking.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:32 AM   #6

Here's my only advice - shooting action is very difficult. Most non-DSLRs do it poorly for subjects moving as fast as dogs. So unless you see photographs taken by a given camera of something very similar to fast moving dogs - especially coming towards you, be prepared that whatever digicam you buy might not meet your expectations.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:45 AM   #7

What is your budget? Is there any way you can consider a DSLR? I just picked up my first DSLR a week ago and it's kind of surprising how much more capable they are. (I've missed tons of shots with P&S over the years so I was ready for that frustration to end.) I'm finding that the skill level necessary to operate one can still be on par with point & shoot since the camera does so well in its Auto modes. Just my $.02
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:11 AM   #8

check amazon and cnet user reviews, not professional reviews, if you want to know how the cameras work out for users.

if you need to capture fast-moving action, i'd suggest you learn how to use the shutter speed that is on many cameras. the faster the action, the faster the shutter speed to capture it with no blur. cameras with PASM on the top dial have this feature.

will the action shots be primarily daytime outdoor shots or will some be indoors or in less than bright conditions outdoors? if you shoot outdoors in daylight, things will be fine, but the catch with speeding up the shutter is the camera gets less light, so you either need to compensate or use the flash to keep from getting dark pics. an option is to get a camera with very good auto that also gets a lot of light - i've heard good things about the olympus epl1, but chances are others here have more suggestions, depending on your budget.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
if you need to capture fast-moving action, i'd suggest you learn how to use the shutter speed that is on many cameras. the faster the action, the faster the shutter speed to capture it with no blur. cameras with PASM on the top dial have this feature.
There's a bit more to it - when you're talking about a dog running the focus system on the camera has to be able to keep up with that moving subject. All the shutter speed in the world doesn't help if the subject is not in focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
will the action shots be primarily daytime outdoor shots or will some be indoors or in less than bright conditions outdoors? if you shoot outdoors in daylight, things will be fine, .
Since the OP will "be fine" with any camera outdoors shooting moving dogs - do you have some photos from a camera you would recommend showing how "fine" the results are for something as fast and difficult to track as a moving dog? I know when I buy camera equipment it always helps to see photographic evidence. Everyone has different definitions of what is an acceptable level of quality - especially with such a difficult task as this. So the photos you've taken of subjects similar to dogs running would be very helpful to the OP in making their decision.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Since the OP will "be fine" with any camera outdoors shooting moving dogs - do you have some photos from a camera you would recommend showing how "fine" the results are for something as fast and difficult to track as a moving dog? I know when I buy camera equipment it always helps to see photographic evidence. Everyone has different definitions of what is an acceptable level of quality - especially with such a difficult task as this. So the photos you've taken of subjects similar to dogs running would be very helpful to the OP in making their decision.
I do .. and you make a good point about focus.

This was shot w/ a ZS7 but I certainly don't recommend the ZS7 as the ideal action P&S. I am however quite impressed with Panasonic's focusing speed. Tracking focus works very well. As I said earlier, I would look at some of their CMOS based cameras.

Here's 1 more:

Last edited by FiveO; Nov 19, 2010 at 1:33 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote