Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:39 PM   #1

Default Olympus C-5060 Replacement

I have an Olympus C-5060 that I've had for a couple years. I picked up at a surplus sale basically unused in like-new condition. I really like the camera but would like one that's a bit faster (in terms of powering up and between shots). Below are the pluses and minuses of this camera to me:
+ takes very sharp pictures
+ comfortable to hold
+ lots of buttons allow for many manual controls without menus
+ great battery life
+ articulating LCD
+ optical view finder for really sunny days
+ very sturdy build quality... lots of metal
+ styling
- fairly slow for power on / first shot
- fairly slow between shots
- 5MP resolution
- slightly bulky

I'm slightly confused as to what currently compares to this camera. The only two that I can seem to find are the Canon G12 and Nikon P7000. The Canon seems to, on paper at least, match what I like about the C-5060. The Nikon has most of the pluses except for the adjustable LCD. Are there others that I should be considering?

Background - I have a Pentax DSLR and an assortment of lenses. While I really like this camera (I've used 35mm SLR's for years), I don't like having all the bulk of it and lenses. I have a Canon A610 that was my favorite until the Olympus, but its manual functions are buried in menus. It is a bit faster than the Olympus. I also have a Canon SD400 (Elph series) that I tend to use the most due to its compact size. I've purchased a Panasonic FZ100 as a Christmas present for my partner. It's pretty obvious that I'm well covered when it comes to cameras! Basically, I'd like to consolidate the A610 and C-5060 into one fairly compact but high-quality camera. I'll still keep the DSLR and the Elph. I'll actually probably keep all of them until I find somebody who needs or would appreciate one... a bit of a hoarder I guess!

To summarize, what have those with C-5060 experience (who liked the camera) moved on to and been happy with? Thanks for any input.

David

Last edited by David_NC; Nov 18, 2010 at 11:24 PM.
David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:18 PM   #2

The G12 is a good little camera, and meets most of your needs. And that would be my pick between the nikon and canon.

have you consider a micro 4/3 camera also?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:42 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i think either of the G12 and the P7000 would be a good replacement for the 5060. the g12 has a better AF system, faster RAW write times, and is overall a more mature product. but the p7000 has a longer zoom range which can be quite nice. image quality between the 2 is negligeable.

a micro 4/3 or other evil system could be a good choice too, they are similar in size to the old oly as well and gives you a much bigger sensor to work from
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I really hadn't considered micro 4/3's. The Panasonic G2 looks pretty nice, and really isn't all that much more expensive than the Canon G12, though it only comes with a 3x zoom. Still, if the IQ is better, that's a big plus.
David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:00 PM   #5

The IQ will be better, as it has a much larger sensor. Upto 800iso it is very clean, and 1250iso is about max on the G2.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:18 PM   #6

I went from a C-5000 zoom to an E-PL1 and I've been happy. The big minuses for me were the same as you, power on to first shot and shot to shot times were extremely slow. The E-PL1 solved that. The image quality is outstanding, and it focuses quite a bit faster too (compared to the C-5000, other people have different impressions).

Some people complain about the LCD, but the E-PL1's is quite a bit bigger than the C-5000's. It doesn't articulate on the E-PL1. Additionally there's no optical view finder, but since I never used it on the C-5000, I haven't missed it.

All in all, I think it would be worth looking at the G2 or other m4/3 system.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote