Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:38 PM   #11

Hey, I can add up amps draw, and it does make sense. I look at this way t1i without flash 750 photos was my best, pentax k-x without flash 1100 photo. There is no way the A55 comes close to that.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:48 PM   #12

thank you for all your replies jimc and shoturtle, but what about IQ and AF performance? As those are my top priorities, followed by fun capabilities.
Also I live in a template climate between 15 and 25C most of the year (daily high average temps) but I don't plan on shooting much video, maybe a few clips of kids performances..
apo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:50 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Hey, I can add up amps draw, and it does make sense. I look at this way t1i without flash 750 photos was my best, pentax k-x without flash 1100 photo. There is no way the A55 comes close to that.
Sure it does, and your results don't surprise me too much, as the T1i only has a CIPA rating of 400 shots using the optical viewfinder (not much better than the A55 you're criticizing for power consumption), and it's CIPA rating with the LCD is only 170 photos.

So, your results getting 750 photos photos sounds about right from it in real world conditons. It doesn't exactly have the highest capacity battery around either (it's worse than most cameras in it's class). ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:54 PM   #14

IQ are very close between the sony and canon, you are splitting hairs. The canon has the edge in higher iso as the A55 looses 1/3 stop of light because of the translucent mirror. But against the A580, the sony has a bit better noise control.

Canon is know for detail retention, so they accept a little bit more noise. The sony does noise reduction more, so it clips a bit more detail to keep the shot cleaner.

The T2i is a tried and tested AF system good for action. The new AF is very new, and seems to be very good. But AF system is just one part of AF system. The other is the lens. Get a faster focusing lens like a canon USM lens, and it is very faster combination.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:57 PM   #15

I shoot a evf camera, and I can tell you for a fact, it does draw more then a ovf dslr. So that is why I have 4 batteries for my olympus epl-1 as it eats battery more when using the evf.

Yes the canon in no where near the pentax, but the sony will not get to 450 no matter what you do. And that is over 1/4 less shooting then the canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Sure it does, and your results don't surprise me too much, as the T1i only has a CIPA rating of 400 shots using the optical viewfinder (not much better than the A55 you're criticizing for power consumption), and it's CIPA rating with the LCD is only 170 photos.

So, your results getting 750 photos photos sounds about right from it in real world conditons. It doesn't exactly have the highest capacity battery around either (it's worse than most cameras in it's class). ;-)
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:17 PM   #16
Administrator

I disagree, and I've used some of the newer Sony models. Have you? ;-)

CIPA ratings are very stringent and tend to represent "worst case" conditions (which is why you can get 750 photos from your T1i, when it CIPA ratings say it's good for 400 when using the optical viewfinder; and is why I can get in excess of 750 photos with 82% battery life remaining with a Sony NEX-5, using *only* the LCD for framing (since that model doesn't even have an optical viewfinder).

Don't believe everything your read. Try the cameras yourself (as I typically do for weeks at a time with newer Sony models) before passing judgment.

Newer models tend to be more power efficient than meets the eye if you're not using them in a way the CIPA ratings test them (focusing from near to infinity every shot, using the flash 50% of the time, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:18 PM   #17

The Canon T2i and Sony A55 and A580 should be able to do what you want without a problem. And Canon's 70-300 IS USM and Sony's 70-300 'G' are well suited for the kinds of activities you want to shoot. While the A55 does have a faster continuous shooting speed, it uses an electronic viewfinder and a smaller battery, so if you'll be away from a charger for a while, you may want to think twice about that one.

Can you get to a good camera shop and try them out? If you can't comfortably hold a camera, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll miss shots and be dissatisfied with the camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:21 PM   #18

canon 70-300 is 450 dollars, the sony 70-300 is 700 dollars.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:33 PM   #19

I actually tried both at the store (but with no card ) and they both felt comfortable enough and light enough, but with such little time and my lack of experience don't know which would be it. I have been browsing here and online and found pentax k-r, what is your take, and for my situation?
Thanks
apo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:37 PM   #20

The k-r is a good camera as well, and uses the sony sensor. So IQ is about the same as the sony models. Pentax does a bit more on noise reduction, to give you a cleaner shot at higher iso. But as TCav pointed out, you will need a lens that will be good for action. The pentax 55-300mm lens is not bad for action, but it is only okay. But the pentax is the best value camera.

They do not have a 70-300mm with the fast focus motors like the canon ef 70-300USM or the sony 70-300G.