Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:49 PM   #21
Administrator

There are pros and cons to any of them. From an IQ (Image Quality) perspective, you're "splitting hairs"

Decide what features you're interested in, not just the features that show up on spec sheets. For example, just because the A55 has the ability to use dramatically faster Phase Detection Autofocus when shooting Video, or has much faster Phase Detect Autofocus when using Live View, doesn't mean those features are important if you never use them, and you're taking mostly still photos using the viewfinder. Personally, I'm not much of a video shooter, and could care less about those types of features (for example, I'd be more likely to buy a Sony A580 instead, which has video performance that's roughly equivalent to other cameras in it's class, although AF using Live View is still dramatically better than other brands).

Also consider lenses you'll need for the types of photos you take more often. That part is probably the most important part, as camera bodies tend to be more "disposable" over time, when you're likely to treat your lenses as an investment instead.

Ergonomics are also very important. Try them out in a store to see what you think, as each user tends to be different as to how they feel about a camera's ergonomics (grip, viewfinder/EVF usability, control layout, menu system, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:03 PM   #22

Which lenses would you recommend for what i want. And I don't see myself spending more than say 800 for a really good lens. And for the near-medium term I don't see myself buying more than the kit lens, a zoom like the one we are talking about and something faster for indoor shooting (kids, birthdays, dinner parties, christmas).
What system would allow me to do that and don't spend a fortune? Ease of use would also be appreciated given my status..
apo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:09 PM   #23

well if you are willing to invest in lense, I would skip the kit lenses. Get something like the t1i or T2i, and the tamron 17-50 2.8 VC - 550 dollar and the canon ef 70-300- 450 dollar. That will cover outdoor action and indoor shooting with only 2 lenses.

Or if you want to save a little, get the t1i or t2i with the 18-55 kit lens add the ef 70-300, and the ef 50 1.8 for 95 dollars.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:13 PM   #24

Or if you want something a little wider for indoors

replace the ef 50 1.8 with the ef 28 1.8 USM for 350 dollars.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:42 PM   #25
Administrator

Do you care about video, or are you mostly interested in Still Photos?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:43 PM   #26

op mention the occasional video clip every now and then
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:49 PM   #27

yes , as shotutle pointed out video would be nice to have, albeit spec wise it is not something high up in my priority list.
What do you think about the tamron 70-300 vc?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:54 PM   #28

the new 70-300VC USD is only available for nikon and canon. From nikon users, it is a good lens, and it will save you about 75-100 dollar off the canon version.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:03 PM   #29

Thanks for bearing with my clueless questions...
How much does fps matter?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:04 PM   #30

not to much actually unless you are shooting very high action then you will want 8-10 but that gets expensive with a true action camera in that range, like the canon 7D, nikon d300, d700. Around 4fps +-.5 is pretty good for most action. I sometimes shoot soccer with at 3.5fps and it works fine.