Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:49 PM   #31

oh, for heavens sake. If it were me, and it is btw...I am thinking of getting the A55...just to try it out...if it works as well as my A100 then another lens or two and share the rest. If not continue looking. If you are HEAVY into video, do not bother with a dslr, go straight into a video camera. If you are into more photos stick with the A55.
If it doesn't work out for you in the first 2 weeks return it for a different model. Try it for two weeks until u find the Right one.
OR as I do, take a chip to a store and try the cameras out...most places lets you play with them if you are seriously looking to buy. Take a bunch of photos, using different cameras, see how They feel in your hands, how they work, and how they perform. Take the chip home and look the photos over.
If you think this is too much of a bother...it is for some, not me, but I like to do my homework...when I spend money...then go by others experience and hope they know what You are talking about and Expecting. Me, I like to try it out.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:52 PM   #32

The 70-300G is 750 dollars, there is more to thing the AF then just the camera.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:35 AM   #33

The Sony 70-300 'G' is more expensive than the Canon 70-300 IS USM, but it's also better. There hasn't been any quantitiative tests done on the Tamron 70-300 VC yet, so it's hard to compare.

Keep in mind that the Sony has image stabilization in the camera body, so the lens doesn't need it. The stabilized Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC that shoturtle mentioned, isn't as good as the unstabilized equivalent, which would be stabilized on a Sony body.

The Sony A55 is relatively small, so when matched to the 70-300 'G', which is relatively large, the combination might be unweildly. You might want to try it out in the store before you buy it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:00 AM   #34

Do you have a budget for the whole system? It is very easy to give you recommendation and easily push the total cost over 2000 dollars.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 19, 2010 at 3:04 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:55 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sony 70-300 'G' is more expensive than the Canon 70-300 IS USM, but it's also better. There hasn't been any quantitiative tests done on the Tamron 70-300 VC yet, so it's hard to compare.
Popphoto reviewed it recently. But, I haven't seen any of the sites like photozone.de or slrgear.com review it yet (where they publish more precise measurement of lens performance at various focal lengths and apertures).

Here's popphoto's review of it:

http://www.popphoto.com/lens-test/20...56-divc-usd-af

Note that the Sony version of it will get their new Ultrasonic Drive Motor. But, they're not going to include Vibration Control in the Sony version. So, optical characteristics may be different because of that (no optical elements moving around for vibration control like you'd have with the Canon and Nikon versions).

But, some of the tests I've seen show that Sony's in body SSS (Super Steady Shot) works better than Sigma's lens based OS (Optical Stabilization) when comparing the same lens on a Sony body and testing it both ways (using the body based stabilization and comparing it to the results of the lens based stabilization). Some of the new Sigma lenses in Sony mount can work either way (using either the lens based stabilization or the body based stabilization). Amateur Photographer Magazine had an article in their January 21, 2010 issue with tests of stabilization systems using a Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS lens on more than one camera (and a Sony A550 body using that lens was able to outperform it using the camera body versus lens based stabilization). Of course, a different lens may have different characteristics on the same body.

But, they'll be no way to tell if this Tamron's Vibration Control is better or worse than the Sony SSS (since Tamron isn't going to include VC in the Sony version of their new 70-300mm, and the optical performance could be different on a Sony body because of no lens based VC).

However, AFAIK, this new Tamron is not shipping in Sony mount yet (only Canon and Nikon versions have shown up on dealer shelves so far).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:24 PM   #36

Default sensors?

Thanks for all the helpful information: I have come across with Dxomark, and wondered how does the sensor impact the overall performance of a camera and IQ?
Or if you could point me in the right direction to better understand this...
apo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:25 PM   #37

the sensor is just on cog in the whole system. It only tells you about the sensor, and do not factor in any of the processing or lens stuff. I go with it is nice to know, but misleading at the same time
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:37 PM   #38

just out of curiosity (and why else would i ask a question?) can sigma/tamron/3rd-party-lens's be sent back to the manufacturer to change the mount so it can be used on a different camera brand?

for example, a sigma lens with a k-mount for pentax, be changed to the A-mount lens for sony? or are there other things involved to make them compatible?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:38 PM   #39

nope
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by apo40 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful information: I have come across with Dxomark, and wondered how does the sensor impact the overall performance of a camera and IQ?
Or if you could point me in the right direction to better understand this...
Nothing else in the camera body affects image quality more than the sensor, and the DxOMark website is a good way to compare image sensors. But it shouldn't be the only way you compare bodies.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote