Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:28 PM   #1

Default Opinions on Sony's dslr´s?

Hi I am about to buy my first dslr, after many considerations i think i've narrowed it down to canon t2i, sony a55, although i kind of also like the a580 but seems too heavy compared to the other two.
I plan to shoot my kids which are young and move a lot, them playing tennis and soccer, horses, as well as some nature, so fast af. Also would like good low light performance..
What are your thoughts and also open to suggestions...
Cheers,

Ps. have't been able to find much info on this site about sony... so it kind of worries me
apo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:34 PM   #2

I would go with the T2i or A580, the A55 you are always basing any burst shots off of the previous shot 1/10 of a second early because of the slow refresh rate of the EVF. THe A580 and T2i, you will be able to keep track of you subject better.

The A55 is a good video camera, but does have a over heating problem when shooting longer video clips over 10min. It shuts down the camera.

The A580 looks to be a very good dslr. But it is not in the states yet. So when it hit the store, you might be paying full msrp.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:38 PM   #3

Here is one of the review sites discussing the HD overheat problem.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/29/s...eating-sensor/
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:59 PM   #4
Administrator

Sony actually admits to the issue. But, the same problem exists with other dSLR models with APS-C size sensors shooting video, too. For example, only 5 minutes of video with the D5000 is typical before overheating (as indicated in the article you posted a link to). Popphoto's tests show the same thing:

http://www.popphoto.com/video/2010/0...rheating-issue

I've seen reports from more than one T2i owner indicate that they're see overheating after 12 minute clips. IOW, it's not a problem that's unique to the Sony A55.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:02 PM   #5

T1i shot 1080p 15min when the file reach the max of 4gb.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:10 PM   #6
Administrator

Ambient temperature comes into the equation. You may get around 29 minutes of continuous video with a Sony A55 with SSS turned off in average temperatures (as popphoto.com reported with their tests). But, in warmer environments, overheating can occur faster.

From user reports I've seen, whether or not the LCD is tilted away from the body also impacts recording time you can expect (since tilting it away from the camera body allows better heat dissipation).

I doubt you're going to see a lot of difference between them in real world use, provided the temperature you're shooting in is the same (except that Nikon apparently places more stringent limitations with video with their models, with no more than 5 minutes of video before an overheating warning being typical).
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:12 PM   #7

The biggest problem it seems is for the sensor shift. It just heats up everything. Adding the heat of the evf, just allot of power being used. Think that is why the other thing with the A55 is the life of a charge.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:20 PM   #8
Administrator

You can't go by the CIPA ratings for battery life in many conditions.

The CIPA tests are designed so that the camera has to focus from wide to infinity before each photo (or from wide to infinity to wide again every other photo), with LCD Preview of the image turned on, camera power cycled after every 10 photos, 50% of the photos taken using a flash and more.

http://www.cipa.jp/english/hyoujunka...f/DC-002_e.pdf

If you're shooting 10fps bursts, you'll get a lot more photos.

For example, I [personally] saw an NEX-5 (with a CIPA rating of 330 photos) using continuous drive modes take 762 photos in multiple bursts (separate bursts with settings changes between them) with 82% battery life remaining. The A55 uses the same battery and has the same CIPA Rating as the NEX-5. ;-)

It could have easily taken thousands that way at faster frame rates in a shorter period of time. After 762 still photos, multiple video clips were taken with it, and it still had 60% battery life remaining.

It all depends on how you're using a camera. For example, if you're leaving the LCD on for long periods of time, that's going to impact battery life (and the camera has settings to automatically go into power save mode that you can adjust from 10 seconds to 30 minutes). Leave it set low and you'll conserve battery life.

Using stabilized lenses on Canon and Nikon cameras without built in "body based" stabilization also draws more current to handle that feature. Any choice is a compromise, and a smaller camera with a smaller battery is going to mean that the battery won't last as long in similar shooting conditions. If you want a smaller camera, using a smaller battery, you can't expect it to last as long as the battery in a larger camera using a larger battery. ;-)
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:22 PM   #9

but there are reports that the battery do not last that long, like the cases where the t2i can do overheat at 12min.

But the avg that reports are is the a55 is sub 350 photos on one charge without flash. I get about 450 with a mix of flash. So it does not last as long as the 750 mix with flash of the pentax k-x with AA recharge. Just 2 other system to compare battery life to based on shot count.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:36 PM   #10
Administrator

IMO, that's nonsense (350 photos on one charge without a flash), unless the user had image review turned on. with the user "chimping" an awful lot). Even the CIPA ratings are close to that many photos with image review turned on, with flash used for 50% of the photos, while focusing from wide to infinity every shot. You're going to get a *lot* more photo in real world conditions if you're not using a flash, unless you deliberately set the camera to leave the LCD turned on all the time.