Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:19 PM   #1

Default Which p&s for Hd video and stills of my newborn?

Looking for best possible video quality and good to average stills ,Low light performance is a concern since most stills and videos will be indoors. Budget would be $350 but I get employee pricing on Sony, panny and samsung. Been looking at tx7,hx5v, and wx5. I'm a newbie looking for advice, thanks

Last edited by 2fast4u; Nov 19, 2010 at 8:16 AM. Reason: Yes he can use his thumbs 
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:05 AM   #2

is your newborn able to use his thumbs enough yet to hold the camera?

anyway i just got the canon sx200 is for my wife, it arrived today and is amazing! it takes really good HD 720p and really awesome pics so far.........and from newegg i got it and a class 10 4gb SDHC card for $206.00 it may be slightly more for you, i got it on last fridays early black friday deal........ i saved almost 72 bucks......but my local target had the camera today while i was there for $179.99

Last edited by bryman; Nov 19, 2010 at 1:08 AM.
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:26 AM   #3

If low light is a concern, Panasonic LX5 or Samsung EX1 ... in keeping with the brands you specified. I don't think the EX1/TL500 does HD video (might be wrong) but the LX5 definitely does.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:09 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I also think a newborn is not really able to use a camera properly, even a P&S.

If they are extremely precocious you could try them at around 18 months. 3 years is probably a more reasonable starting age.

It's only if you are really worried about flash that the low-light issue becomes a problem. In my experience though, newborns don't mind flash at all, though the parents sometimes get all wound-up about it.

So any decent P&S camera would be fine.

If the idea of using flash freaks you out for some reason (it shouldn't) then try the usual suspects:

Canon S95, Panasonic LX5, Samsung EX1/TL500.

Last edited by peripatetic; Nov 19, 2010 at 7:26 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:20 AM   #5

Looking for a pocketable device so lx5 and ex1 are out. Also want to zoom while filming. Edited post didn't know there was so many funny guys on this forum.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:43 PM   #6

I think you might have to decide pocketable vs zoom while filming. Cause S95 doesn't zoom or focus during filming. BTW, the LX5 isn't as big as some of the web picture shows. I was expecting a brick when I order it, but its actually pretty small....just not jean pocket friendly because of the Lens.
chumanji9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Looking for a pocketable device so lx5 and ex1 are out. Also want to zoom while filming. Edited post didn't know there was so many funny guys on this forum.
You will have to give up some low light ability then as the cameras listed are the only ones that offer the bigger sensor in the small format.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:36 PM   #8

I gave the tx7 a try a Best Buy today was great from my test shots. The only thing I could ask for was a little more zoom. Does the hx5v give equal performance on stills and video?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:46 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
I gave the tx7 a try a Best Buy today was great from my test shots. The only thing I could ask for was a little more zoom. Does the hx5v give equal performance on stills and video?
yea, the hx5v will give you similar performance.