Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:05 AM   #1

Default Hello. Help please, Finepix HS10 v Olympus E-10

Any advice you can offer on the following would be much appreciated:

I have recently purchased a new Finepix HS10 bridge camera. With its 30 x optical zoom lens and other features it should have been a vast improvement on my old Finepix S9600. However, due to the tiny viewfinder I find it uncomfortable to use. It is not just the smallness of the viewfinder either, as there is no eyecup so the light leaks in and makes the image even worse. I am no longer a spring chicken and my eyes are not as strong as they used to be so a proper eyecup would have helped a lot. A proper eyecup accessory is not available either from Fujifilm or third parties. I have however glued an eyecup from another camera onto the HS10 (see my other posts) and this improves things but it’s it’s not the same as a “proper job”.

The omission of a thread in the shutter release button makes remote shooting impossible. I would have sold this camera on Ebay were it not for the incredible lens.

On to the next bit: Some time ago I was offered a very nice second hand Olympus E10 DSLR at a price I could not refuse – like peanuts right? I had the idea in mind that I might like to learn how to operate a DSLR but so far I have not used it. I have never used a SLR or DSLR before but I can see that its viewfinder is far superior to the HS10. It also has the thread in the shutter release but at only 4 megapixels this falls a long way behind the HS10.

What I would like to know is:
Using the E10, up to what size photos could I print before they start to get grainy?

Would shooting in raw mode increase the resolution allowing larger printed photos?

Your thoughts and what you would do in my position. (I have to admit that the E10 is such a beautifully crafted instrument with its integrated non detachable lens that I am tempted to keep it rather than move it on). Again, I’d like to know what you would do.

Please bear in mind that I only have a basic knowledge of the principals of photography but I am learning all the while, this means that a full blown up to date new DSLR with all the lenses would be wasted on me. Apart from that I like the idea of a single all purpose lens as carting round a bagful of lenses is something I would never be keen on doing.

Thanks in advance if you would like to comment.
Stuart
grampyblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:15 AM   #2

i don't think i'd recommend getting a 4 megapixel camera even if it is a dslr. it's almost 10 years old, which means not only are the pics very small, but it's also missing the more recent technology that means better quality pics in lower light, among other things.

there are some dslr's you can find for $400 or even less - especially if you go refurb from somewhere reputable. these would take better pics than your fuji and much bigger pics than a 10 year old camera.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:45 AM   #3

Thanks for that pcake. I think I'll give this E-10 a miss and set my sights on a new dslr when I feel a bit more competent. Your advice much appreciated.
Stuart
grampyblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:08 AM   #4

You could try this...

http://chuck-it-in-the-pot.blogspot....10/191010.html

I ordered the NIKON DK-20 eyecup from Amazon but haven't as yet had the
chance to try it out... I need to pick up a good quality double sided tape...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote