Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:59 AM   #21

The G10 has a very small viewfinder. And it does get noise above 1250iso. But below there is takes nice photos also. So it does not handle low light shooting without a flash as well as the olympus. So the olympus flashes will work with the panasonic camera's. But they are almost as small as the olympus epl1
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:00 AM   #22

You can add the VF2, giving you one of the best electronic viewfinders on the market. Here is a good idea how compact the epl1 with the kit lens and vf2 viewfinder is next to my canon T1i. My wife has small hands, and the epl-1 is very easy for her to handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
The EPL1 is *about* the same height and width as the E620. But, it is quite a bit thinner and has no EVR.
Attached Images

Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:31 AM   #23

thank you for the pics, now I see that I really don't want to have a biggy like your T1i... the Olympus EPL-1 seems to be much nicer...
my question is, if I have to buy a viewfinder for EPL-1 and then a second lens, then it will be almost as expensive as e-620 with two lenses and a decent flash, or even more expensive. or maybe I am mistaken.
narges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:25 AM   #24

Yeah, it is more expensive. But there is a cost for compactness. But the wonders of a more modular system is you can get things later not all at once.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:01 PM   #25

It also bears mentioning that while T1i is larger, it's also really lightweight. Everyone complains about how much plastic is in it, but this does have its advantage. I hope OP will have a chance to handle some of these cameras in person before deciding on one.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:59 PM   #26

I would recommend the Pentax K-x with the 2 kit lens, 18-55 & 55-300.Best entry level low light performance camera.V well reviewed camera.Should fit your price range.

Last edited by Fayyaz; Nov 20, 2010 at 6:26 PM.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:29 PM   #27

I was in a shop today, and I happened to see a lot of cameras...I didn't like the little compact like format of EPL1, and to my surprise I didn't like the grip of olympus e-450 either. I didn't see e-620, but as I read it is much like e-450. I just couldn't hold them in a stable way in my hand. I very much liked the grip and format of D3100 though. I really liked it. And yes, I am going to shoot mostly JPEG, will there be a problem with D3100 while shooting JPEG?
I also tried sony alpha a33, it was a really nice camera, I have to say.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:36 PM   #28

the nikon and sony will need more editing to get the photos better. Olympus is the only one the will give you jpegs right out of camera at are great.

The A33 is not a bad camera. HD does overheat the camera if you take a long video clip. And the battery does not take allot of photos between recharge. But it can use all the sony lenses.

The d3100 is not a bad camera. But if you want a low cost big aperture lens for portrait like a 50mm it will cost you 450 dollars. While the canon and sony one are 95 and 120 dollars. But if you do take photos in tricky lighting not being able to take a EV bracket is a disadvantage.

Did you try the canon 500D or the Pentax's?

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 20, 2010 at 7:38 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:45 PM   #29

I tried 550D
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:48 PM   #30

How did the camera handle for you?