Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:50 PM   #31

it was almost the same size and format as d3100. but the lens moves were not as smooth, especially manual focus. it was nice to hold it, no big deal
narges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:54 PM   #32

which camera did you like the most? The one that handle the best for you is most likely best one to get, as image quality between canon, pentax, sony, and nikon and olympus are all about the same form 100-1600iso. This is where most shooting happens.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:45 PM   #33

not read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been said but buying into the olympus system seems like a bad idea now - the system has the air of death on it - the e-5 the flagship of the line while a great camera seems to be kinda last years techonolgy and they have openly admited they aren't developing new lenses for the system anymore i beleive

though the lenses that are out for it are i believe considered some of the best zoom lenses going

nikon on the other hand is certainly still very healthy contender in the dslr market and with plenty of room to grow into it so of the two i would be inclined to go with nikon over olympus

now if you likely to keep the camera for long time and not interested in starting up a comprehensive premium lens collection then it matters less as long as your happy with what you get
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:48 PM   #34

John,

Guess you have not read some of the Germany review, that rate the E-5 to be one of the top 3 camera on the market, up there with the nikon d3s and canon 1dmkIV. It is a very very good camera. So I would not say that it is last years technologies. It is a really good camera. Oly knows how to make the most with their equipment.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The d3100 is not a bad camera. But if you want a low cost big aperture lens for portrait like a 50mm it will cost you 450 dollars. While the canon and sony one are 95 and 120 dollars. But if you do take photos in tricky lighting not being able to take a EV bracket is a disadvantage.

Did you try the canon 500D or the Pentax's?
The D3100 can use the AF lenses, it just can't autofocus them.

The 35mm 1.8G is AF-S, very well reviewed and perfect for the D3100 with a retail of about $189. I've used the lens a bit now and enjoy it quite a lot. It's wider (50mm is a bit tight) and may provide a bit more flexibility for portraits and indoor shots.
billzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:53 PM   #36

Yes it can, but why buy an auto focus lens that can not focus. And manual focus on a dslr without a split prism is a pain. Very hard to get critical focus.

Yes there is only 1 lens that is sub 400 dollars, but it is not the right focal length for everyone. It is more of a full body lens, vs a portrait lens. And I have short focal length lens, you need to be care if you move in not to shadow your own shot. So only the OP can decide it that it with limiting herself to.

And budget was the other concern the OP mention. So the 35 1.8 is still 100 dollars more then the canon and 80 dollars more then the sony 50 1.8's.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 20, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:56 PM   #37

i didn't say it wasn't a good camera - but the specs are definately 2009 - in the lower iso ranges i have no doubt its good camera and as you said most shooting is in that range - and as i said its more the future of it as a system that would concern me slightly

but seems that things moved on to nikon vs canon anyway both of those are safe bets (assume so anyway but guess never can be 100% sure with world economy the way it is right now)

on that note though is the 550d really same league as d3100? thought it was a more advanced model more d5000 ish (though its kinda slightly older now) canon would be a better choice for lenses since not all nikon lenses work with their entry level models but think all canon lenses work correct?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:01 PM   #38

4/3 is alway a bit lower in iso then aps-c. That was the same with the e-3. But with what really counts is still photo ability. Oly makes one hell of a good camera. Hands down OOC jpegs has all other brands beat. They make a good ibis and AF system. I went to the oly stand at the US open, and it is a very fast AF system on the E-3. Except for the fact that is can not shoot at 12800 iso, it is really not a big deal. Shooting both canon and pentax. They do not do well up there anyways.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes it can, but why buy an auto focus lens that can not focus. And manual focus on a dslr without a split prism is a pain. Very hard to get critical focus.
True, but as an E-PL1 owner (as I was), you know the value of legacy lenses and primes, regardless of AF.
Quote:
Yes that is only 1 lens that is sub 400 dollars, but it is not the right focal length for everyone. It is more of a full body lens, vs a portrait lens.
When holding my D5000 out at arm's length to get a self portrait, I can barely get my whole head in the frame with my 35mm. Besides, to get in tighter you have only to take a step or two toward your subject. The wider view 35mm affords makes it a more versatile lens indoors where you might want to take shots of multiple people or a whole room, as well as outside night scenery or cityscapes. Shadows are workable - you can't easily expand the size of a room.

Quote:
And budget was the other concern the OP mention. So the 35 1.8 is still 100 dollars more then the canon and 80 dollars more then the sony 50 1.8's.
Well, you kind of get what you pay for. The Nikkor 1.8G is in a somewhat different league than the 20yo Canon 50mm II in terms of build quality.

Remember, if paired with a D3100, we're talking about a $650 camera plus a $190 lens. That's a cheaper combo than a T2i, but about on par with T1i if you factor the cheap primes for each.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:26 PM   #40

I do not shoot legacy, I refuse to us MF when if I have a AF option. But the epl-1 shooter that do shot mf, had a very good option. They use the VF2 and can zoom into their subject to check focus. You can not do that with a OVF.

For self portrait I would not use a dslr. The samsung with the front lcd, or a simple point and shoots works better.

And the poster did stress budget was a concern, a lens that is 90 dollars that can do the job, vs a 190 dollar that do the job is a big jump for a person with a budget.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 20, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote