Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:02 PM   #21

you are being partial here. 35 will work for some but not for other. though the 50 1.8 is not built the same way as the 35 1.8, I have had mine since 1996. And it still works fine. I did have the 28 2.8 before going with a 28 1.8. So since I shoot primes mostly, I know that depending on what you are shooting some lenses may be to short and some may be to tight. Just the simple fact.

HD is not important. That was made clear by the poster.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 20, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:31 AM   #22

I am not being partial at all. You were the one neglecting to mention the existence of affordable Nikon AF-S lenses (including the rather relevant 35mm 1.8G at $190) and said that the AF-S selection was expensive. For a wider range of subjects such as the Original Poster twice noted, I'd say a 35mm over a 50mm would be a no-brainer first choice for a prime unless they specifically want to primarily do TIGHT portraits with it. Some photographers don't even like using the 50mm for portraits and prefer the 35mm. It bears noting: 35mm = wider view, 50mm = closer, tighter view.

As for the importance of video, the OP of this thread said: "I would also use it for video as well." which I'd say means it's 'important'. The T2i has the best overall video performance of this group with less jellocam and 1080P at 24fps or 30fps, followed by the D3100 doing 1080P at 24fps. The Nikons do 720P and the T1i has 1080P but at a rather less usable 20fps.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:07 AM   #23

yes you are, there is only 1, that is it and you have gone through a whole spiel that it will work for everything. It was a simple question, could it be a disadvantage. And now matter how you want to spin it for that 1 lens, it still could be a disadvantage.

Why are you going crazy over the HD, that is not a concern for the poster. So I will say it again. If if does not matter for the poster, it seems more a concern for you.