Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Need help deciding - Canon T1i or Nikon D3100?

I dont really know which one to choose. This will be my first DSLR. I have a Hybrid now, but I much rather have a lens that I can take on and off. Its either the Canon T1i or Nikon D3100. I would be using this camera for average pictures. Pets, scenery, basically everything. I would also use it for video as well. Please help me.
hawkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:23 AM   #2

well the d3100 WAS one of Oprah's favorite giveaways today for her Christmas giveaway show..........
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:05 AM   #3

The T1i lets you use all the canon eos lenses and it can take a EV bracket for shooting photos in tricky lighting.

The D3100 can not use all lenses made for nikon, and can not take a EV bracket. The AF system is form the d3000 so it is not as good as the canon. But it does shoot 1080p HD better then the canon 24fps nikon, 20fps canon.

though both will shoot at 12800iso and the nikon at 25600iso. You really do not what to shoot pass 6400iso on the top end.

What do you like to shoot, each brand does certain things better.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:49 AM   #4

I like to shoot basically everything. May it be from pets, moving figures, people, buildings, Landscape, food, a lot of things.
hawkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:20 PM   #5

The canon does have the better AF system, and it would work better for moving things with a fast focusing lens like a USM type form canon, HSM form sigma, or USD form tamron.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The D3100 can not use all lenses made for nikon, and can not take a EV bracket. The AF system is form the d3000 so it is not as good as the canon.
why can't d3100 use other lenses from nikon? isn't it a standard DSLR?

and

D3100 seems to have more AF points than canon, still having a worse AF? just curious, as I don't know much about this...
narges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:43 PM   #7

nikon splits their camera's into 2 groups. Ones with built in AF motors, and ones that do not. The low cost lenses do not have built in AF motors. So camera like the d5000, d3000 and d3100 will not auto focus with it.

AF point is not that important in reality. AF speed and accuracy is not related to points. What AF points do is let you decide where the camera should focus on in the frame. It is not a good idea to use auto AF points, as that do lead to allot of miss focus when shooting a cluttered scene. I normally use center up or for left or right.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:45 PM   #8

The Nikon D3100 is the lastest in Nikons line of entry level dSLR bodies that don't have a built-in autofocus motor. As a result, only lenses with their own motors can autofocus on the D3100 and dSLR bodies like it. So, fo instance, Nikon AF-S lenses will work, but Nikon AF lenses won't.

And the number of AF points isn't the only factor in the speed and accuracy of an AF system.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
nikon splits their camera's into 2 groups. Ones with built in AF motors, and ones that do not. The low cost lenses do not have built in AF motors. So camera like the d5000, d3000 and d3100 will not auto focus with it.

AF point is not that important in reality. AF speed and accuracy is not related to points. What AF points do is let you decide where the camera should focus on in the frame. It is not a good idea to use auto AF points, as that do lead to allot of miss focus when shooting a cluttered scene. I normally use center up or for left or right.
thx...I know better now
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Nikon D3100 is the lastest in Nikons line of entry level dSLR bodies that don't have a built-in autofocus motor. As a result, only lenses with their own motors can autofocus on the D3100 and dSLR bodies like it. So, fo instance, Nikon AF-S lenses will work, but Nikon AF lenses won't.

And the number of AF points isn't the only factor in the speed and accuracy of an AF system.
thx, then I guess D3100 is a big limitation