Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:01 PM   #1

Default Panasonic ZS6 vs Nikon S8100

I've been vacillating between these two (don't ask me why). Purpose is for a reasonably portable camera to take snapshots of kids in all situations, but I suspect mostly indoors.

I already have a Canon Rebel XTi (too bulky to carry around all the time) and a Canon SD940 (not too thrilled by IQ, especially with low light).

Thoughts? THanks in advance!
thochen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:57 PM   #2

I would go with the S8100. It's a newer model,and faster. However there r better lowlight p&s's available Canon S95/90,G12/11, Panasonic LX5,and Nikon P7000.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:51 PM   #3

Nothing to add really - Fayyaz nailed it. The ZS6 is a great camera but for mostly indoor usage, I think the S8100 is better.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:10 PM   #4

Default Thanks!

Thanks to Fayyaz and FiveO! You sure are fast!

I've been leaning toward the S8100 just for the low light, but am a little concerned about speed given kids don't always hold still.

I wasn't thrilled about the S95 because of my previous experience with Canons and the price. LX5 seems like too much camera also.

Thanks again!

Tom
thochen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:52 PM   #5

The S95 went as low as $299 recently and may hit it again around Black Friday (if you're in the US). I haven't had great luck w/ the durability of Canons either but the S95 does seem to be built better than my SD870. It doesn't have much of a burst mode but it's very good in low light for being a compact.

The LX5 is a bit faster but it's a bit bigger also and just overall a more serious camera.

The S8100 won't do as well as either in low light but I am sure it's cheaper and it does offer 1080p video if I recall correctly. The backlit CMOS will do better in light than a similarly sized CCD.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:55 PM   #6
Super Moderator

if you think you will be shooting in low light mostly. you may have another look at the s90 or s95.

the s90 can be had for a reasonable price now that the s95 has been introduced.

i would not worry about the quality or image quality of the s90/95, they are in a completely different league than your sd940. they will both offer much better indoor image quality compared to the nikon.