Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:31 PM   #1

Default Nikon P90 vs Nikon P100 (vs L110)

Someone is offering me a Nikon P100 for 210.
Basically brand new, too. (month old, everything in box still, all aside camera and battery is still wrapped.)

I've been looking at the Nikon P90 and the Nikon L110 lately, and this P100 kind of came out of nowhere. But I have to buy it within the hour, so I need your help pronto if possible.

Pretty much all I want this for is to take photos with sometimes and sometimes video. I know there's a ton ton of features on this, but I doubt I'll use even half of them. But with price reasons aside (since this is a great deal, I think. P100s are going for 230+ refurbished. this one is basically brand new.) and the P90 would be same price anyway.

But anyway. I know the P100 has a 10MP lens and the P90/L110 has a 12MP. I'm assuming this means the P100 has lower quality photos? I just don't understand why a more expensive and advanced camera would take lesser photos than lower models. And then somehow be able to take higher video quality. (1080p)

So, I need opinions. Which would be the best camera to go with? Regardless of price. And which take the best photos? P90, L110, or P100?

Thanks. !
SPNarwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:37 PM   #2

Default Bit late but....

From reading your post I think you need to read a bit more.

<
I know the P100 has a 10MP lens and the P90/L110 has a 12MP
>

Im a beginner as well. MP usually means MegaPixals and refers to how much information is stored from each photo.

Sounds like the P100 is an advanced Point and Shoot. I believe they are not as fast as DSLR's (ie hard to catch a jumping frount kick or break without blurring)

I have found you get much better answers here if you can let folks know what you shoot. It is a different answer if you are shooting landscapes than if you are shooting gymnastics or Tae Kwon Do.

Hope it worked out for you.
drake64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:04 PM   #3

Default Bit late but....

From reading your post I think you need to read a bit more.

<
I know the P100 has a 10MP lens and the P90/L110 has a 12MP
>

Im a beginner as well. MP usually means MegaPixals and refers to how much information is stored from each photo.

Sounds like the P100 is an advanced Point and Shoot. I believe they are not as fast as DSLR's (ie hard to catch a jumping frount kick or break without blurring)

I have found you get much better answers here if you can let folks know what you shoot. It is a different answer if you are shooting landscapes than if you are shooting gymnastics or Tae Kwon Do.

Hope it worked out for you.
drake64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPNarwhal View Post
But anyway. I know the P100 has a 10MP lens and the P90/L110 has a 12MP. I'm assuming this means the P100 has lower quality photos? I just don't understand why a more expensive and advanced camera would take lesser photos than lower models. And then somehow be able to take higher video quality. (1080p)

So, I need opinions. Which would be the best camera to go with? Regardless of price. And which take the best photos? P90, L110, or P100?

Thanks. !
Actually, you've got this backwards. You've fallen into the consumer trap of thinking more is better. Remember how everyone used to think that processor clock speed (Mhz and Ghz) was all you needed to know about personal computers? After a few years, people began to realize it's not that simple. Yes, the 12mp of the P90 is higher resolution compared with the P100. But it doesn't necessarily translate into a better picture for you. Nikon got smart. They were taking some hits for the image quality of the P90 compared to other cameras in its class... and lowered the resolution to 10mp.

Why? Because when you're dealing with the very small sensors inside these superzoom cameras, after a certain point, more megapixels means more electronic "noise" in the image - especially in low light and at higher ISOs, which are settings that increase the sensitivity of the sensor to light. I could go into all sorts of technical details about photo sites and other terms which mean nothing to you. But, in essence, sometimes higher resolution is "too much" for smaller sensors. Higher resolution can be a great thing, but only if the sensor is large enough to deal with all the input. Usually, you need a DSLR to adequately handle anything above 10mp. But that doesn't stop the camera companies from adding megapixels and trying to fool people.

In short, less is more here. The 10mp of the P100 will mean slightly better image quality compared with the P90. The P100 isn't a bad camera at all - but remember it still won't give you the ultimate quality that a DSLR will. But it sounds like you may not need that.

Of the three cameras you are considering, the P100 is best. You might also want to consider the Panasonic FZ35 and the Canon SX20, which are considered "best in class" when it comes to compact superzooms.

Also, check out this group camera test. But read the whole thing and check out the sample images:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q110superzoomgroup/

I realize you've probably already made your decision... but I've posted this for anyone else with similar questions.

Last edited by Biro; Nov 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:53 AM   #5

Default FYI Megapixels and Censors

I'm an engineering student and i have a background on Digital Signal Processing; That's what runs inside your camera

In very simplistic terms, when you take a picture from a, say, 12MP camera that's running on a 9.1 (or 10) MP censor, what you are basically doing is resizing 12MP of image onto 10 MP, then 'zooming' in on it to make it as big as a 12 MP image. Now you do know what happens when you zoom into an image. You get pixel blasting that on a smaller scale appears as noise. So technically, 12 14 18 doesn't make much of a difference if the censor inside is still a puny 9 or 10 MP one.
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote