Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:02 PM   #1

Default My Wife lost my ZS7!

So she left it behind somewhere and I need to replace it. I need a replacement with similar capabilities. I admit to using it almost always in "auto" mode so expanded manual control isn't necessary, though I have always been meaning to "learn" how to use my cameras better. I would just go get another ZS7, but I always have this feeling there is something better around. I'd like something different, just for the sake of being different. I don't mind spending up to $500. I want good zoom(>10X) and good video(720P) in AVI for Windows Movie Maker.
I bought a Pentax K-x for under $500, but I think it is too big. If I can't fit it in my cargo pants or jacket pocket, I don't think I will have when I need it. I will be returning it to Amazon.
What should I be looking at for my replacement? Are the Nikon P100 or L110 considered pocketable? I use it for family, pets, indoor and out and vacations.

BTW: The Wife is getting a $99 camera for Christmas.
mikeb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:07 PM   #2

getting a new panasonic, the nikon pns are not as good.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:00 PM   #3

The P100 and L110 are certainly NOT pocketable. While technically, they are smaller than a K-x... in a practical sense, they are not. By that, I mean they won't fit in pockets, they'll still require a moderate-sized camera bag.

If you are happy with the image quality you've been getting with the ZS7 and you simply must have the zoom range, then I'd just get another one. Otherwise, a Panasonic GF2 or a Panasonic LX5 might be the way to go. But they are a bit bigger.

The GF2 is an interchangeable lens camera, which would put it in the same category with the Olympus E-PL1. You'd have to buy additional lenses to get the zoom length and the package won't be pocketable. The LX5 is a bit smaller than the GF2, but will only give you a zoom range of 24-90mm.

A lot of people disagree with this conclusions of this group test, but you might find it useful:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

In terms of image quality, none of these cameras can beat the Pentax K-x. But if you need pocketability, then the DPreview test includes most of the better cameras in the class you're looking at.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:43 AM   #4

If you need zoom range of it, Check Sony's HX5V.
If you need speedy menu and AF, GO for another panasonic.
And I especially recommend LX5 if you planned to choose another Pan.
albi1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:51 AM   #5

none of the pocketable camera will match the IQ of your K-x, especially abover 400iso. But since you have the k-x you already have a excellent low light camera, and way better action camera then any point and shoot.

So if you are looking for a nice portable camera, the link biro link is a good review. The casio FH100 is actually very nice. I checked it out after I read that review. And I was really impress with how quick it is. But you will not want to shoot it above 800iso. And only use it in good lighting like all the small sensor point and shoots.

The LX5 and S95 are good option if you want a good low light point and shoot, but you will give up zoom. But it works nicely at parties, being compact.

I shoot a compact m4/3 and they are not pocketable, they are more jacket pocket with the epl-1 with the kit lens or a pocket lens. But you get a nice dslr image quality in a smaller package. But this does not sound like the route you really want to go.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:06 AM   #6

Hi there,May I suggest Nikon S8100, Sony WX5 and HX5v.Nikon would prob b the best replacement.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:13 AM   #7

ZS7 from Amazon Warehouse Deals are a great bargain...most only opened boxes and returned...I have bought two so far and only one of them had the Wrist Strap missing but both were like new in excellent condition and I had an extra strap...the one without the wrist strap was bought from a private vendor selling thru Amazon...everything I have ever bought from Amazon Warehouse Deals had been in excellent like new condition with ALL accessories...
OTOH if you do not want to go back to the ZS7 then I would definitely get a Canon S95 as it shoots great in the Auto Mode as attested by my wife...the S90 didn't do quite as well in Auto Mode but the S95 has improved upon that....

Samy's Camera still has the ZS7 on sale for $230 free ship...thats a swinging deal...
http://www.samys.com/

Last edited by LTZ470; Nov 22, 2010 at 4:39 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:19 AM   #8

Thanks for the help. The Canon S95 had my attention, but it shoots video in MOV format I think and I don't want that.
I have a Best Buy 10% coupon that expires today. I am going to see what they have, especially the Sony HX5v.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb33 View Post
Thanks for the help. The Canon S95 had my attention, but it shoots video in MOV format I think and I don't want that.
I have a Best Buy 10% coupon that expires today. I am going to see what they have, especially the Sony HX5v.
I have both the ZS7 and the HX5V and the ZS7 is a far better camera w/ far better IQ. For low light, I have an S95.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:54 AM   #10

I brought home the HX5v and it was pretty good, though not better than the ZS7 I had. I decided that bigger is better for me, so I returned it to Best Buy to find they have a 15% restocking fee on cameras. Apparently it is printed on the back of your reciept, but I argued that you couldn't possibly read it until after the purchase?
So they allowed me to buy another camera and waive the fee. I bought the SONY NEX-3 with 2 lenses, case and 4GB card. I am still learning it but so far some really nice shots. The sweep panorama option is awesome, though I can't really see needing a lot of panoramas(but it is so cool).
So I got the 16MM pancake wide angle and the 18MM to 55MM zoom. I didn't realize that only equates to a 3X zoom, but I understand it now. They will have a 200MM zoom soon, but it will list for $799!!! More than the camera and 2 lenses? Anyway it is good for me so far and I am buying the Wife a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20 for Christmas that can serve as my pocket camera as well.