Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:05 AM   #1

Default Overwhelmed and need help!

Hi! I am a college student looking to get a new camera. I am looking for something that is compact yet still takes good quality photos. I will be using it at sporting events, hanging out with friends (day and night), traveling, on campus, etc. Some of the more important features that I would like are:

Compact/Travel Friendly
A good zoom
Decent low light
Image stabilization
HD Video

I do not have much experience in photography but I would like to be able to play around with some manual controls. Pricing needs to stay under $500, preferably under $400. Basically, I am looking for a great all around camera that will last me several years and will allow me to grow once I gain more experience. I don't have any idea of where to start looking and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:45 AM   #2

Well, looks like you are needing compact superzoom!
ZS7/V-LUX20 or HX5V. This could be a nice article for you.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1006/10...mgrouptest.asp
albi1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:55 AM   #3

Hi there,
I would suggest the Canon S95(3.5x zoom),SD4500(10x),SX210is(14x),SX130is(12x),Nikon S8100(10x), and the Panasonic TZ10(10x). These r prob the best P&S's around under $400.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:52 PM   #4

Thanks for your suggestions! I have been looking at all of them and I think that I have narrowed it down to the Panasonic TZ10/ZS7 and the Canon SX210 IS but I think that Im leaning toward the ZS7. I still have a few questions though.

1. Which of these is best for low light conditions? I know that neither of them will be spectacular but I just would like to know which is best between the two.
2. Several of the reviews that I have read say that the GPS on the ZS7 wont turn off. Is this true or are people just blowing the issue out of proportion?
3. Is the ZS7 worth the difference in price over the ZS5? From what I have read there doesnt seem to be much of a difference between the two but I could be wrong.

Once again, I really appreciate all of the help!
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:31 PM   #5

Haven't used either but the ZS7 it is a highly recommended camera
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:21 PM   #6

ZS7 doesn't do that well in low light. It's really best for outdoor pictures unless you are willing to use a slave flash system for improved indoor shots. Yes, the gps does turn off.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:04 PM   #7

There r only 2 cameras possibly, the Samsung TL500, and Canon S95 with the larger 1/1.7" sensors which would do better or best amongst P&S's for low light and < $400.But then zoom has to b compromised. The rest more or less employ the smaller 1/2.3 sensor.