Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Help me pick a new DSLR

I primarily use my camera to shoot wildlife/ birds which are often in the distance, move a lot, poor lighting conditions, and can be tiny. I am looking at a 70-300mm lens..would love to have out to 400mm but it's not in my budget. I am considering either Nikon D3100, D90, or Canon T2I or 60D. I have been a die hard Canon fan for years but have read many excellent reviews on the Nikon. I like the D3100 because it is so light but have a feeling that I will get more out of the D90. The grip on the D90 feels rather big for the size of my hand and I very rarely shoot with a tripod. Any thoughts on which camera could meet my needs?
littleshopofours is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:22 PM   #2

Get the one that fits best in your hand.

with a 70-300 you get 450mm on a 35mm eq with the nikon, you get 480mm with he canon with the crop factor. For what you want to shoot, either nikon d90 or the canon T2i or 60D will work. Of the cameras you listed, the 60D is the highest end, follow by the d90, T2i then the d3100.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:52 PM   #3

Any preference for Canon or Nikon?
littleshopofours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:58 PM   #4

And then there's the Olympus E-620 with a crop factor of 2X so that 70-300mm turns into a 140-600mm. Compact size, lightweight, fully-articulating LCD....
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:14 PM   #5

the e620 do give you the best reach. And it is a very good camera. Just not as good if you shoot just before down or at dusk. 1600iso is about the high end on the e620 with noise.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:10 PM   #6

Don't think in terms of Canon vs. Nikon. Both companies make some really excellent cameras and lenses. As shoturtle says, see which camera fits in your hands the best. See which camera has the most intuitive controls for you - that is, see which one allows you to operate the controls without thinking about them the most. Which camera's weight works the best for you? Some people like more heft, others want things as light as possible.

The Canon 60D is a new camera, so you probably won't find much of a discount yet. You could also check out reviews of the 50D, which is just being replaced. If the camera works for you, perhaps you can get a great deal on one. The same goes for the new Nikon D7000, which is replacing the D90. The D7000 is the latest and greatest for that point in Nikon's line, but the deals are now on the D90. The D3100 is fine but it is an entry-level DSLR - not in the same class as the others.

Remember, all of these cameras are very good. But you're buying a camera for you, not anyone else. Go with what works for you and fits in your budget. Final note: you mentioned that the D90's grip feels a bit large in your hand. For that reason alone, I might point you toward the 60D first (which is not as large as the 50D).
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote