Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:24 PM   #1

Default Video Lens for Olympus EPL-1

I've been looking at cameras for about a month now and have decided on an EPL-1. I'll mainly be using it to record VIDEO at local music venues, so good shots in low light are very important. From what I read though, the kit lens is not the best video quality. Will the kit lens capture a good scene in a scenario where the venue is completely dark except for a projector over the band on the stage?

If a new/different lens would improve it, what should I look for? I'd like to find a cheaper artsy lens but am open to newer lenses if its under $100 w/o the adapter. I live in NYC so people are always getting rid of lenses, I just don't know which one to look for that would help out with the video. Any help appreciated, thanks.
pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:35 PM   #2

Well, most of the new micro four-thirds lenses aren't that cheap. For about $350 there is the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. But that's not a zoom and it has no image stabilization (which is okay because your E-PL1's body has IS). Panasonic's 14-140mm zoom is optimized for video - which is why it's packaged as a kit with the GH1 and GH2 - but it's no faster than Oly's 14-42. And it costs nearly $800 by itself.

Now, I imagine you can pick up some older, fast lenses and a micro four-thirds adaptor - especially if you don't mind manual focusing and don't mind a larger package. If I were you, I'd drop in at B&H Photo and ask their advice.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:38 PM   #3

olympus m. zukios 40-150 is a pretty fast focusing lens. It has the olympus msc motors.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:04 PM   #4

Yeahh most of those micro 4/3 lenses are more expensive than the camera! Good glass is cool and all but $800.. damn. A good old lens with some character can work, I mean the videos dont have to look picture perfect, its bands so a little color from a lens might do well. I just want something that could be a little better if its really dark. Thats what piqued my interest about micro 4/3.. its really customizable depending on the situation.

I'll check out B&H and talk to them, thats actually where I was messing around the with the EPL-1 during the summer, so it will come full circle. But I'm thinking more of the craigslist route/small shop to hopefully find a gem of the lens that works well. I was checking out ebay and they have tons of adapters for the cam so its just the matter of finding a fast lens, I just don't want to buy something and it turns out to be junk, atleast not until I have atleast one good one.. then I can experiemnt.

@Shoturtle - Is that the one that comes with the camera?
pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:07 PM   #5

now it is a pretty new lens, it is a 300 dollars, but if you shop around, you can find it for less I am sure.

http://www.adorama.com/IOM40150MB.html