Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Just know that you are only going to be able to AF-s or AF-i lenses or 3rd party lens with built in motors. The d3000, d3100 and d5000 camera's do not have a in body motor. So regular AF series lenses
Which isn't a huge issue anymore, as the number of lenses that will AF is about 90, and are available at all price levels and cover every focal length. The only type of lens that is short in number are primes. Also, even non af lenses can be mounted and used, of course without AF.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1210 View Post
Heres something that struck me today when I was reading on dpreview...

Nikon D3000: 2.7MP/cm square

Canon EOS 1000D: 3.1MP/cm square

Is this meant to be a good or bad thing for the Nikon? I think the sensor in the Nikon is also larger by a fraction?
You're really splitting hairs. It may theoretically give the Nikon a small advantage, however I doubt that this advantage would be noticeable under normal (really most any) use.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:32 PM   #23

It is an issue if the lens you need is one that will not AF on the body. Only the person using can decide if it is huge or just minor. And reading the OP's budget, it might be a issue down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Which isn't a huge issue anymore, as the number of lenses that will AF is about 90, and are available at all price levels and cover every focal length. The only type of lens that is short in number are primes. Also, even non af lenses can be mounted and used, of course without AF.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:51 PM   #24

I want to bring sony back into the discussion. the op said he likes to take "pictures of my cars, friends at parties or get-togethers and also some landscapes". Given approx equal iq of these cameras, it comes down to ergonomics. he's not a pro with a big need for primes. the kit zooms will be fine. i love show and shines. i use the flip-out lcd on my sony almost exclusively. any shots at hood or hubcap level are much easier with lv. look at these shots i took. now imagine squatting for the low shots. many times. and if there had been low-riders there, the camera would be at ground level.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frank-i...46868827/show/
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:37 PM   #25

Quote:
It is an issue if the lens you need is one that will not AF on the body. Only the person using can decide if it is huge or just minor. And reading the OP's budget, it might be a issue down the line.
I think you missed my point. As I said, the only thing missing in the AF-s lineup are primes (aside from the 35f1.8 and the 50 and a few other third party offerings). So obviously if your primarily shooting primes, then a lower end Nikon won't work for you. Otherwise there isn't a shooting situation that isn't covered at almost any budget by the available af-s lenses made by Nikon or other 3rd parties. So aside from primes, I can't imagine you not being able to find the lens you need, either used or new. The whole lack of lenses argument just isn't that valid anymore (for the most part) and shouldn't be a major factor in your decision (unless you shoot primes and want AF...if you don't mind manually focusing, then there isn't a problem at all)

Last edited by rjseeney; Nov 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:49 PM   #26

GREAT shots Frank!
andysly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:37 AM   #27

To be honest, all the brands dslr can produce excellent photos. It really comes down to features one wants, ergo, and what difference in processing each brand takes to produce the end product.

Here is a canon taking some autoshow photos
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...auto-show.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 28, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:49 AM   #28

Quote:
To be honest, all the brands dslr can produce excellent photos. It really comes down to features one wants, ergo, and what difference in processing each brand takes to produce the end product.

Here is a canon taking some autoshow photos
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...auto-show.html
yep. features. we can split the hairs about this and that but a missing desired feature is a deal-breaker. i have my list (fold-out lcd, 16:9 jpg, pop-up flash, high iso, grip). using elimination i was left with sony. ok. done. then all i needed to do was buy it.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:07 AM   #29

okay, i was about to put the money down for the D3000 this morning but then the salesperson said that if i went with the nikon, the lenses are very expensive. for my purpose of depth of field, i was told i'd need a 50mm f1.8 lens in the future (when I have more money) a nikon lens of that equivalence is $400 but it doesn't focus automatically since nikon doesn't make an AF-S 50mm lens. now they said if i went with a canon (extra $40) then i would be able to pick up an EF or EF-S series 50mm lens off any shelf for around $100 and it would autofocus in the body. The shop salesperson said the Cdanon might cost more for now, but apparently i'll be jumping for joy in the future when i need new lenses?

what do you guys think? pay the extra $40 for the canon or not?
stevo1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:59 AM   #30

both will produce great quality photos. canon has live view. cheaper primes down-the-road. neither has in-body image stabilization. so, no draw-backs compared to the nikon that i can see. and one day you can put a white L lens on it.

$40 is nothing. wait till you have to ante up for a filter. oh, you thought they'd throw that in? sometimes. not usually.