Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:16 AM   #1

Default Kodak dcs, D50, Kx 10-20 sigma

Hi Chums,
Looking to get a dslr. I would love to have a 10-20 lens as well. I really need to be spending under 500.
I,ve seen a kodak full frame camera dcs 14n for 350 and I can get a old film lens sigma 18-35mm for about 85. it looks like a big old lump though so im thinking ill be better going for below

Or I'm wondering about Nikon d50 120 sigma 10-20 280 total 400

I,de like anti shake and great low light performance I know I can get the vr lenses for the nikon to sort the shake but I,m not sure what the low light is like on the nikon compaired to something newer.

or plan c

Get a pentax kx with a couple of lenses for 400 and wait till next christmas or a run on fish n chip sales till I get the 10-20

But i,m thinking I have a panasonic fx-01 compact at the moment and I think its fantastic, so any slr is going to to allow me to do so much more and all those extra buttons bells n whistles will keep me busy till I can get the 10-20 lens.
Thanks Guys, I,m talking out loud here, I,m just no good at making decisions these days. Any info or ideas would be Fab,
Thank you Chums.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2

Ok so, I've ruled out the kodak, seen it today and ill need a trolly to carry it. its old, old battery bla bla bla.
Just been playing with the kx and realized its AA batterys, I don't like them, allthe ones I ever had were rubbish even the dear ones.
So I,m now at D50 or sony, I think with both i can use old film lenses. but I could have 2 d50 bods for the price of the sony or get my wide lens... I really like the top screen on the d50. but like the tilt screen and the anti shake jobber on the sony. I been going round the shops to have a feel. aaaa decisions decisions.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:02 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by condorman View Post
So I,m now at D50 or sony, I think with both i can use old film lenses.
What Sony model are you looking at? The A500 is probably the best "bang for the buck" right now while supplies last if you don't need video recording (it's got a great live view system, but it can't record video). It's 12MP CMOS Sensor is better than the sensors found in the lower end Sony dSLR models for use at higher ISO speeds. In the UK, Jessops has kits including the A500 body with the 18-55mm kit lens for 399.00 delivered right now.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...6529/show.html

As for a 10-20mm zoom, that's going to cost you, but I'd lean towards getting the better A500 body versus the entry level Sony models if better high ISO speed performance is something you'll want, and then add lenses later as budget permits.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:40 PM   #4

Thanks Jim, I like the a500, Thought the screen that folds up or down was good. In theory I thought i would prefer the flip out free angle screen but in practice it seemed a bit fragile and vulnerable. humm the video would be nice though for that money. I noticed there are no secondhand 10-20 sigmas about for the sony so I wouLd have to pay 100 more for a new one and I can't justify the spend. I think the 500 sounds ideal for me though. Does anyone know if a nikon d50 would be a long way behind the a500 for low light ?? I think the sensor shake thing sounds good on the newer cameras though. g wiz it's a decision.
Thank you Jim for your help.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:30 PM   #5
Administrator

The Nikon D50 uses a Sony 6MP CCD Sensor that's pretty good. I'd probably prefer it in low light compared to most of the cameras using Sony 10MP CCD Sensors. But, it's really no match for the newer Sony CMOS 12MP Sensors at higher ISO speeds (and the D50 is limited to ISO 1600, too).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:26 PM   #6

Thank you Jim,
Food for thought, i guess it'll be a compromise so I can get the lens I'de like as well. Thanks so much for your help. mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000