Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Canon SD 4000 is or SD 4500 is

Hi,

I am looking for an ultra compact point and shoot camara for my sister. I was thinking of getting the S95 but my sister would rather have the camara be compact rather than getting the extra features. Her main concerns are that the camara is fast and that she will be able to take shots one after the other -not necessarily in continuous mode but not have to wait forever for the camara to be ready for the next shot. Also, she goes to lots of concerts so I wanted to get her something that would be able to shoot video well with sound being ok...something to just video record song clippings at concerts w/ sound and image being decent. I have the older canon sd900 and the video recording is awful... I have read that panasonic is pretty good but have always used canon so I tend to always just veer towards canon. Anyhow, I was thinking of the sd 4000 or the sd 4500 but from the reviews i've read, it seems that the sd 4500 is not all that great w/ the low battery life and all. Any suggestions?
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:55 AM   #2

Hi petals, U can look up Casio FH100,Nikon S8100,Sony WX5 and HX5v,Samsung WB650 and the Panasonic TZ10/ZS7 in the ultra compact catagory. However S95 is right at the top. It has a large sensor and xcellent IQ.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Hi,

I am looking for an ultra compact point and shoot camara for my sister. I was thinking of getting the S95 but my sister would rather have the camara be compact rather than getting the extra features.
The S95 is very compact so not sure what you mean. It's certainly not as small or light as the SD1400 but that camera is awful so there is a trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Her main concerns are that the camara is fast and that she will be able to take shots one after the other -not necessarily in continuous mode but not have to wait forever for the camara to be ready for the next shot. Also, she goes to lots of concerts so I wanted to get her something that would be able to shoot video well with sound being ok...something to just video record song clippings at concerts w/ sound and image being decent. I have the older canon sd900 and the video recording is awful... I have read that panasonic is pretty good but have always used canon so I tend to always just veer towards canon. Anyhow, I was thinking of the sd 4000 or the sd 4500 but from the reviews i've read, it seems that the sd 4500 is not all that great w/ the low battery life and all. Any suggestions?
I prefer the output of the SD4500 over the SD4000 but the SD4000 does have a brighter lens. The continuous auto focus in video on the Panasonics is better than the Canons in my experience. The Canon SD4000/SD4500 tend to focus hunt whereas my ZS7 does not.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:11 PM   #4

Thank you for the suggestions. I initially had my sister look at the panasonic zs7 and even though it is compact, she wanted something smaller. I went to Frys today and looked at the various camera suggestions that you guys gave and I'm kinda leaning towards a Sony WX5. The Canon S95 is nice but the only drawback was that in video mode, you are not able to zoom. I think the WX5 is compact enough but was not sure what was the difference b/t the WX5 and the Sony DSC-TX9. The salesperson told me that it was mainly just the touchscreen. I've never used a touchscreen camera so do not know how helpful it is...does anyone have any opinion as to this? The Sony HX5V seemed pretty nice too...too many decisions!
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:36 PM   #5

I had a touchscreen on my high-end Panasonic camcorder and honestly it was a pain in the a**. The only benefit imho was that you could change focus points by touching an object on the screen.

Keep in mind that low light video may be even worse than your old cam, depending on the sensor size. I didn't look up your model but many older cams had larger sensors than today's cams.

I would definitely recommend avoiding the HX5V for concerts as the sound is horrendous. I would almost bet money that the WX5 and TX9 have equally bad sound but I haven't used either so I can't attest to that. I do own an HX5V though.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:53 PM   #6

S95 does digital zoom in video though, doesn't it? You don't necessarily want optical zoom because the sound of the "zoom motor" will be picked up in the video. Admittedly some cams will be better about this problem than others. ZS7 was pretty good, as far as that goes. I hope I'm not wrong in saying Panasonic seems slightly ahead of Canon as far as video capability in P&S cams.

Touchscreen is not there yet for these cameras. (and IMO the only "touchscreen" worth having is multitouch, but that's another topic.) My friend has one of the Sony TXx cams with touchscreen and hates it bc it isn't responsive enough. (you have to touch and hold for it to register) I have a touch-activated kitchen scale and a PS3 (go figure, also Sony) that suffer with the same problem. I hate it when they ship products with a gimmick feature that hasn't been fully R&D'd.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
S95 does digital zoom in video though, doesn't it? You don't necessarily want optical zoom because the sound of the "zoom motor" will be picked up in the video.
Digital zoom is just an in-camera crop though so quality suffers. I think Fuji had the best idea with their HS10 in which the zoom is reportedly optical but done by twisting the lens - which means zero motor noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
Admittedly some cams will be better about this problem than others. ZS7 was pretty good, as far as that goes. I hope I'm not wrong in saying Panasonic seems slightly ahead of Canon as far as video capability in P&S cams.
I agree with you completely. A number of users of the SD4000 and SD4500 at DPR have complained about constant focus hunting during video on these cams whereas it works quite smoothly on the ZS7. The S95 doesn't even offer continuous AF or optical zoom at all whereas the LX5 does.

I think Panasonic simply has more vested in this area. They are one of the pioneers of AVCHD (along with Sony) and also pioneered the new 3D. Canon typically just goes along for the ride. In other words, they've put more time and effort into video than Canon.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:25 PM   #8

It is worth noting that the ZS7 does *much* slower bursts than either of the canons (I think both are rated @ 3.4 fps with an unspecified limit) the ZS7 just shoots 3 shots in ~2 seconds in burst mode (3 seconds to write apparently). So if you're taking still pictures of little ones, animals, or anything moving the SD4k/4.5k would be a better choice unless I'm missing something?

I add this because I mainly take pictures of a little one so want 2+ fps for at least 4 seconds, so I'm fairly close to buying the SD4k due to the < $260 cost, the brighter lens and longer battery life than the 4.5, I can live without the larger optical zoom. I don't need a tiny camera, but want one that would fit in a jacket pocket and give me the FPS I need with stills. 720 or 1080 movies are secondary. Sigh, hard shopping list for all of us apparently.

Last edited by stsin; Dec 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM. Reason: clarity edit
stsin is offline   Reply With Quote