Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:08 PM   #1

Default Back to the drawing board.. micro 4/3 for low light videos/clubs

I was all set on the Olympus EPL-1 because of its low-light capabilities, feel and easy to navigate menu. Besides still shots, I was planning on using it for hd video in clubs, usually the only light is from a projector onto the band and/or very dim houselights. There's only one problem.. it seems to only record 7 minutes of video at a time?? Did I misunderstand this or is this really the limitation of the format?
pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2

i believe that the maximum file size for videos is 2 gig - 7 minutes in HD, 14 in standard.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:42 PM   #3

Yup, the epl-1 take only 7min of HD at a time. But if you are running around a club, do you think you will be recording constantly for more then 7min. Or will you be shooting a couple min clip here and a couple min that. Then putting it to getter in video edit. I have not shot a HD clip more then 3 min personally. So depending on what you are doing 7min might and might not be limiting. I would not be using a camera with HD to shoot a wedding. I would go with a full camcorder for that.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 25, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:52 PM   #4

Yeah, I'd defintely be using it for more than 7 minutes at a time. I was planning on just putting it on a tripod if my band played and no one was around to record. Plus a lot of band's songs go over 7 minutes. I was originally going to get a camcorder but I'd get more use out a mirrorless camera. Would the Nex be a better choice because it records in AVCHD and that supposably records until the card is full?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:06 PM   #5

yeah the nex would be a good option, but the 18-200 HD lens will cost you 800 dollars push the camera. And you can not get it in a kit, so you it will be getting the kit lens and HD lens.

I would see if the panasonic GH2 price is going to be with the 14-140mm.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:21 PM   #6

You mean the GF2 right? I was reading about that last night, looks like its good, but yeah gotta see about its price. I read it wouldn't have as good low light performance as the Olympus though
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:30 PM   #7

No the GH2 m4/3, is the new panny getting ready to ship in mid dec. It is very HD featured out. And it has looks to do even better then the epl-1 in low light. Shooting well upto 3200iso.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgh2/
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:09 PM   #8

oh i see. That looks like it might be perfect. It records in avchd and motion jpeg, has a stereo mic and also and external stereo mic jack. The small size, larger sensor, stereo options and video might be the best bet for capturing shows. Can't find anything on the price though, any speculation? The EPL-1 is on sale for $399. I hate to compromise but that's a good price, I may have to wait for the GH2 to ship though, it looks exactly like what I'm looking for.

Edit: Nevermind its $1000, hopes way up, then shot down.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:29 AM   #9

Pariah... how long do you think you'll be shooting bands in clubs like this? Is this just a short-term thing or will it be ongoing for a number of months? I ask because, although the Panasonic GH2 might be perfect for you in terms of a still camera that also does great video, perhaps your needs might be better met by a dedicated video camera - especially if you'll be doing this for a while and cost is taken into consideration. Some cameras in the Canon Vixia HF series are very good for low-light work and can be had in the $500 range.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote