Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Default Moving up from P/S Canon S3....spend under $500

Cheers,

Been looking to upgrade from my current Canon S3. We are outdoors a lot, so I am looking for very nics pics / videos while outdoors. I am fine with the 720p videos. We also take pics indoors that may have low light, so that is a consideration.

I am currently in a quandry...been looking at the Olympus E-PL1 & Canon G12. Was looking at the Sony NEX5, but wife doesnt like the price.

Initially interested in the G12 due to the zoom and that I will not be buying different lenses anytime soom, but didn't know if the G12 was giving up much in quality compared to the E-PL1.

thanks
jjlkpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:09 PM   #2

I did a quick spec check on the two cameras-- the sensor size on G12 is 7.60 x 5.70 mm, vs. 18.00 x 13.50 mm on E-PL1. That alone suggests there will be considerable differences in image quality. I know the G12 is no slouch in the P&S world, but that's just the thing-- these two cameras are of two different worlds.

So the E-PL1 comes with just the one kit lens for $500? I imagine this would get be pretty limiting if you don't get an extra, longer lens to start off with. Have you considered going with one of the entry DLSR kits? I see Amazon has a Pentax K-x two lens kit for $586, there may be others to look at in that pricepoint.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
I did a quick spec check on the two cameras-- the sensor size on G12 is 7.60 x 5.70 mm, vs. 18.00 x 13.50 mm on E-PL1. That alone suggests there will be considerable differences in image quality. I know the G12 is no slouch in the P&S world, but that's just the thing-- these two cameras are of two different worlds.

So the E-PL1 comes with just the one kit lens for $500? I imagine this would get be pretty limiting if you don't get an extra, longer lens to start off with. Have you considered going with one of the entry DLSR kits? I see Amazon has a Pentax K-x two lens kit for $586, there may be others to look at in that pricepoint.
I understand that the sensor is larger on the E-PL1, but curious as whether I will even notice the difference. I print primarily to 4x6, with an occasional 8x10. From the understanding, the larger sensor will help me in low light though.

The other reasoning for looking at these two is the size. Want to keep it smaller for now. Maybe in a couple of years, I will jump up to a decent DLSR.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:11 PM   #4

The G12 is a excellent point and shoot with manual control and does well at 1600iso for a point and shoot, but for shooting in low light it will not match the m4/3 sensor of the epl-1 at 1600iso. They are different animal and have different IQ. The epl-1 will out preform the G12 in low light shooting.

The epl-1 with the kit lens, is a 3.5x zoom the g12 is a 5x zoom. If you need more range, you can get a 280 dollar zoom lens for the epl1 form panny the 45-200mm or the olympus 40-150mm. Since it is a evil, it can grow and expand with you.

You can get a epl-1 olympus factory referb at adorama for 399 dollar, almost the same as the G12. And new it is 450 dollars.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:35 PM   #5

In some reviews, there seem to be a few complaints with the e-pl1 kit 14-42 lens. I don't know if it something I would worry about.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:46 PM   #6

It is a good lens, it is just not great for HD video. The new 14-42mm that is coming out has the new msc motors so they are better to focus for hd.

But for photography, the lens does a nice job. It is good for general photography interest.

This was taken with the 45-200mm lens and it show how well it compares to my canon DSLR
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...s-germany.html

This is with the kit lenses, some with and some without flash,
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...m-germany.html

And this is how it shooting outdoors with the kit lens in overcast lighting
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...r-germany.html

This is with the kit lens in good outdoor lighting
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ar...t-germany.html