Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:59 AM   #1

Default Pocket-able P&S for ~$200...

I'm trying to find a good camera for a Christmas present for my sister. She wants something that takes great pics indoors and something she can easily fit in her pocket for going out to clubs and other events. Megazoom isn't important. Something around 5x would be sufficient as I'd rather have better low light performance for indoor use.. The pics will be mainly for PC use/facebook and for printing off 4x6's. Budget is right around ~$200. Face detection would be a huge plus, as most pics will be taken of kids, friends, and pets. A freind of ours has a Nikon Coolpix s400 that seems to be decent so if we can get something better for around the 200 price point, that'd be great. Any recommendations??
korndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:23 PM   #2

Well, when people say "low light ability" they usually mean without the flash in which case you need a bigger sensor and/or brighter lens to see some improvement over the competition. The Canon S95 was $299 at NewEgg today. You could also look at the Canon SD4000 which doesn't have the larger sensor, but does have the brighter lens. That should be down in the $250 range I think. I'm not even going to comment on the other makes/models that claim to offer low light since their performance is only minimally different from each other and equally unimpressive.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Well, when people say "low light ability" they usually mean without the flash in which case you need a bigger sensor and/or brighter lens to see some improvement over the competition. The Canon S95 was $299 at NewEgg today. You could also look at the Canon SD4000 which doesn't have the larger sensor, but does have the brighter lens. That should be down in the $250 range I think. I'm not even going to comment on the other makes/models that claim to offer low light since their performance is only minimally different from each other and equally unimpressive.
Ok, I guess in clubs/indoors, I don't mind using a flash if necessary. The current camera she has (my old one) is a Panasonic TZ1 and was always very disappointed with the indoor shots with it. She wants something smaller than that. She doesn't need manual controls just something simple to use with great results and easy to carry in a pocket.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:45 PM   #4

Do have a look at steves holiday guide 2010.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:45 PM   #5

Thx for the tip! The ones I am now considering are:

Panasonic ZR3
Nikon S6000
Fuji F80exr.

I noticed Steve likes the ZR3 but am a little worried about the pocketability. Is it smaller than it appears?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:13 PM   #6

i don't know.U will have to go to steves review or the parent site for exact size. It should b pocketable.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote