Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1

Default P&S for the female half, I think I am biased with DSLR experience

So the female half has requested a pocketable P&S Camera.

I am a consumer DSLR carrier myself, and currently carry a T2i around.

However as we venture more out for quick jaunts and travel, the need for a pocketable P&S has been expressed.

Honestly, I do not see myself using the camera. Normally when we are out, the camera comes along.

I had originally leaned toward a Panasonic TS2 for the rugged nature of it, however I was brought back to reality quite quickly when she looked at the camera and said it was too big.

Obvious choice so far has been the Canon S95 for me, however I hesitate that it may be too much camera for what she really wants.

I have also been considering the DMC-ZS7, mostly because of the built in GPS factor and she seemed to like it. However I really don't know if she would utilize the geotagging features.

Heck the PowerShot SD4000 IS has crossed my mind too.

Looking for a bit of help here, as I think I may be overthinking this, or attempting to buy more of a P&S for me rather than her
EOppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:39 PM   #2

sony tx5 if you want a rugged camera and waterproof, that is very small. even smaller then the ZS7.

GPS does drain the battery faster with all the point and shootings that has it.

Other pns in the zs7 range is the casio fh100 and sony hx5v. They are all about the same size.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:43 PM   #3

S95 Auto Mode works great...good all around indoor/outdoor shorter zoom camera with excellent photo quality...ISO 800 capable...
ZS7 great all around outdoor camera and limited indoors...Max ISO400...flash on the short end...great lens with excellent zoom...very decent video in good light...
A little larger than S95...

My Wife is extremely pleased with S95...Color Accent Mode, Color Swap, Video, great photos in Auto Mode...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:32 AM   #4
Super Moderator

My wife has S90, uses it mainly in Auto mode. LOVES IT.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:41 AM   #5

I like that everyone commented about it being used in Auto Mode, as whenever she gets a hold of my camera she yells "green square!" and changes the shooting mode. :-)

shoturtle thanks for the additional ideas, I will admit I do not really consider Sony, however I will research the contenders you mentioned.

The TX5 says its rugged, however I will admit it doesn't look as rugged as the other outdoor models I have seen.

However keeping in mind IMO these cameras are in different leagues. The S95 is not really meant to be put in the same class as the TX5 or the ZS7.

Right now I am still leaning towards the S95, as it seems to be a great all around performer, even in Auto Mode. The TX5 is tempting me though now that you mention it. Back to research time!

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming!

Last edited by EOppie; Nov 27, 2010 at 6:09 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:49 AM   #6

a lot of people i know, many of whom are women, prefer lots of zoom - 10x at least. whether she'd prefer a longish zoom would be a good thing to know before getting her a 3x or 4x zoom camera.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
a lot of people i know, many of whom are women, prefer lots of zoom - 10x at least. whether she'd prefer a longish zoom would be a good thing to know before getting her a 3x or 4x zoom camera.
She is used to shooting with my camera and primes

When asked, she says she doesn't care. Everyone else in the family has a EXILIM Zoom EX-Z1050, so they only have a 3x optical.

The ZS7 does have a 12x Optical, despite being a bit bigger, which makes me really consider it. As we tend to travel as a family, having a camera with a bit more zoom may be desired.

TI read somewhere that the TX5 is fresh water only, which would knock it out if we ever were to take it on a cruise. I am sure one of us would forget and jump in the ocean with it. However according to the Sony site, it can be used in salt water, just needs to be rinsed off after.

I do not like the flip down portion on the TX5, when I have played with them in the stores, it just screams "Will break off" for some reason to me.

Last edited by EOppie; Nov 27, 2010 at 6:22 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:16 AM   #8

If you want liked-by-female, compact camera, I hardly recommend Sony's WX5. If she prefers more zoom, HX5v. Nice cameras. Both having Sweep-Panorama. WX5 has that with 3D AND tilt.
albi1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:38 AM   #9

Pansonic makes a very good UW Housing for the ZS7 and Canon makes a very good Marine Case for the S95...I have used both and they are fully functional...either are an excellent choice...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:46 AM   #10

Thanks LTZ470, I have been thinking now the S95 is a bit too much camera for her, however I like the performance of it in lower light situations, such as inside on a cruise, or an attraction at Disney.

Hey, I have to keep up with the Jones's and knock the rest of her family out of the water :-P