Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The 1000D is a much older design, it can not shoot pass 1600iso,

The A500 is a new tech, can shoot at 12800iso, but is good upto 3200iso, and workable at 6400iso. The AF is also more advance.

If you want a canon, which I shoot most the time. Look at the 550D or 500D. These camera are much better then the 1000D.
Well looks like I'll be going for the a500 then as i don't think I can justify spending that amount now as I'm just a beginner

Thanks for your advice

Also is there anything else I really need when buying it apart from memory cards and a case
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:38 PM   #12

the sony's allow 2 memory cards. i'd suggest just using the sd slot with a class 10. if you have one or want an extra card in the camera for when you somehow fill the sd card, add a memory stick. pro-hg tho.
http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/...a-a500-slr.jpg
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:43 PM   #13

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...9013/show.html

Is this card alright ???
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
junk. see the teeny-tiny c with the 4 in it? find one that says 10. any brand name and that'll be good. don't fret too much the size. for jpgs, 8gb will be plenty. and you can buy more as time goes by.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:12 PM   #15

I've had all sorts of Sony products, though not one of their ex-Minolta cameras. In my experience their after-sales service is consistently awful, and I would never buy one no matter how good on paper or straight out of the shop. By contrast Canon have a superb reputation for looking after their customers, and I have experienced that several times over the years.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
junk. see the teeny-tiny c with the 4 in it? find one that says 10. any brand name and that'll be good. don't fret too much the size. for jpgs, 8gb will be plenty. and you can buy more as time goes by.
Well this is the best I can find http://http://www.jessops.com/online...9191/show.html

Also is it really that bad customer service that it's worth not getting as good camera
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Well this is the best I can find http://http://www.jessops.com/online...9191/show.html

Also is it really that bad customer service that it's worth not getting as good camera
your link was messed up. when i post a link, i always go back and test it. then edit if necessary. but i fixed it enough to see what you meant. junk. at this time class 10 is the best sdhc there is. and it's cheap enough to not accept less. here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-16...cp_computers_2
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:18 AM   #18

Quote:
is it really that bad customer service that it's worth not getting as good camera
Obviously I wouldn't buy a rubbish camera just because I trusted the manufacturer (note - I don't care what the warranty says, it's the manufacturer's attitude and track record that counts), but Canon don't make rubbish cameras. My experiences with Sony have been in two countries (Britain and the USA) and with a range of products including semi-professional analogue sound recorders, professional (studio) digital sound recording equipment, video recorders, televisions, two camcorders, and two Vaio computers. EVERY one of those failed not long after the warranty expired, and in EVERY case Sony washed their hands of it. They told me that a professional portable DAT machine was a throw-away item and they didn't repair it, even though it had cost over $3000 2.5 years previously. ONE MONTH after the warranty on a top-of-the-range Vaio expired the machine gave up. Turned out the motherboard had a manufacturing defect that Sony knew about, but because the machine only failed after the warranty had expired they quoted more than the cost of a new machine to repair it. Two camcorders died just out of warranty, a DCR-PC9 and a DCR-PC101, and in both cases Sony refused to help. They really are a most awful company.

Compare that with Canon. I bought a 5D when they first came out, and after a while the top LCD panel started to malfunction. As I was living in the third world there was nothing much I could do about it until my next visit to "civilisation". That was 7 months after the warranty had expired, yet Canon replaced the panel without a murmur, gave me a new strap as the old one was looking a bit worn, and cleaned the sensor/mirror/prism. All free, and they even delivered it back to me at their expense.

Canon have had a problem with defective sensors on some of their compact cameras. In my dive centre I used three of one affected model, which I rented to customers in housings. When the first failed I simply put it on one side and forgot about it. Much later (2 years) the second camera had also failed, though not yet the third, when i spotted a recall notice on POTN. Contacted Canon and they told me to return all three cameras, including the one that hadn't failed yet. At their expense, internationally. The cameras were fitted with new sensors and returned to me. By then the newest of these compact cameras was three years old and the oldest five, and two of them I had bought used to replace units that customers had flooded. I told Canon this but it made no difference - they repaired the lot. I haven't mentioned the best bit - the defective sensor was made by Sony and fitted to several manufacturers' cameras, including Sony themselves. Yet Sony never issued such a recall and would have told me to p**s off if I had asked them to repair a camera 5 years old that I had bought used.

THAT's why I buy Canon and won't buy Sony.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:24 AM   #19

thanks I'm amazed that's a better card and its miles cheaper than the others thanks
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:30 AM   #20

I knew several people who use Transcend and have no issues with them at all - they're fast to write and read, and don't seem to drop data the way some other cards do. I have two Adata CF cards that I do get write errors with and I need to junk them - I'll buy Transcend. I'm wary of Sandisk, the acknowledged "leader" (and priced accordingly) since the only card I have ever had, SD or CF, that totally died was a Sandisk Extreme II.