Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1384 View Post
CHDK is not yet available for the SX130, but that may change
Thanks for the info. I'll be seriously interested in that camera once it is RAW-capable.

A general comment, and a bit of a private beef. Any halfway decent camera can take decent flash shots close up, so long as the flash is properly metered (I had a Samsung that constantly allowed too much flash so the pictures were always blown-out). My Canon G10 takes superb flash photos in these circumstances, and with the extremely high resolution (14.7mp) the pictures are highly croppable. Much has been made of the better low light capability of the newer G11 and G12 and the S90/95, but IMO this is still not good enough to get acceptable available-light results at night. Add flash and the huge benefit of the G10's resolution comes into its own. For available light I'll simply use a DSLR. I might buy an S90/95 for its portability and fast lens, but the 10mp sensor to me is a negative not a positive.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:43 AM   #12

What do I need to buy right off the bat with the fz35? Do I need to buy batteries? Just when I think I don't, I get something and it turns out that I do.

I've been scouring Amazon, and could use some help with which memory card and battery (even if extra) to get. I see some car chargers on there too, which would be nice, are they any good?
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:39 AM   #13

Sarah says the cheap batteries work well on the FZ35...n 8Gb Class 6 SDHC Card it is plenty...actually a 4Gb Class 6 is OK...Yes the Auto Chargers work I usually by mine off Ebay...

I would post in the Panasonic Forum and everyone can give you some great ideas also about bags, etc...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:46 PM   #14

So, I decided to be smart about this purchase, and drove the hour to get to the nearest camera store. I got to hold the Lumix FZ40 as well as the G12. I actually liked the Lumix better, as far as hold and how the buttons are set up. I won't argue that the screen and shots turned out a bit better with the G12 than the Lumix, but the Lumix ones turned out pretty darn good too. And I got to see what it did in ordinary indoor light in the iA setting. Ok, so after my cheapo fuji, it isn't going to take much to impress me, but nonetheless, i'm impressed. LOL

That Camera store was selling the FZ40 for $399, no available FZ35.

So came home and purchased the FZ35 on Amazon for $259. Also picked up the memory card and a spare battery. I am so very, very excited!! I think this is going to be a great started camera for me to learn more about photography rather than just jumping in with the big ones. This way, i'll know what I like and what to look for when that day comes.

Again, thank you SO MUCH for the help!
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote