Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:39 PM   #11

pentax released a cheap 35mm f2.4 - not super super fast but it is reportedly very sharp at all apertures

i have a pentax-a 50mm f1.4 and its stunningly sharp but critical focus is pretty hard at f1.4 without a microprism focus screen and since they can affect spot metering i've stuck with the one that comes with my camera as i use spot metering more (thought not hugely so) more than manual focus lenses - if you really wanna go all out you can get the f1.2 version though it does tend to still sell for quite alot

if you want a good portrait lens then the da* 55mm f1.4 gives the full frame equivalent of the 85mm lens - i would like to replace my pentax a 50mm with this lens for the autofocus convience but probably wont get it since i have zooms that are pretty good at 50mm

and if you have no budget worries then there are the pentax limited lenses - i dont own any as i'm not much of a prime shooter but they are reportedly legendary good lenses

FA 31mm f1.8 Ltd
FA 43mm f1.9 Ltd
FA 77mm f1.8 Ltd

DA 15mm f4 Ltd
DA 21mm f3.2 Ltd
DA 40mm f2.8 Ltd
DA 70mm f2.4 Ltd

the FA lenses have a better reputation than the DA Ltd's though and you pay more for them

some of the sigma primes have very good reputations too

the main benefits of primes is higher image quality - though i think the zooms are rapidly catching up with primes in terms of IQ but its much easier to make large aperture primes than zooms
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:43 PM   #12

hehe.... whats the difference between distortion and field of view?

I don't think I want to buy a lens for a camera that costs less than the lens does...
Photoshop CS5

Last edited by Trihame; Nov 29, 2010 at 3:46 PM.
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:47 PM   #13

ewheeler: Relative to perspective. As focal lengths get shorter, the difference between objects in the foreground and objects in the background becomes accentuated. As focal lengths get longer, the foreground and background appear to come together spatially. The "standard" focal lengths neither accentuate nor diminish front-to-back distances relative to our unaided eye.

Last edited by tclune; Nov 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:02 PM   #14

thanks for the clarification tclune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
some of the sigma primes have very good reputations too
I just started a thread asking about the sigma primes... if anyone is interested.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...34mm-20mm.html
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
hehe.... whats the difference between distortion and field of view?

I don't think I want to buy a lens for a camera that costs less than the lens does...
alot of lenses are significantly more than the camera itself and thats the way it should be since lenses last, camera bodies come and go - invest in good lenses first
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:19 AM   #16

Now that I think about it you may be right John. But I still don't want to pay $700 for a lens. Maybe someday I can get over that...
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote