Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Actually, the horses don't usually spook at flashes, but the riders will go ballistic because they might, and most riders get hurt because they did something stupid, not the horse.

But, yes, if you're shooting any kind of sports/action indoors, you'll need fast shutter speeds, and you'll need large apertures and high ISOs to make up for them. What matters is how close you can get and how bad the lighting is. What types of equestrian events will you be shooting, and in what kinds of venues will they be held?
My indoor arena shooting will be mostly to document my stallion at training and at shows. They will be mostly indoors with some low lighting and some will have better lighting. So I don't expect super fabulous but would like better than what I've had so far.

I hope that helps some.
tccarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:19 PM   #22

Quote:
The entry level Nikons won't AF with appropriate large aperture primes. I switched to the Nikon D90 and the Nikon 85/1.8 for exactly the reason the OP has. See my Dr. Cesar Parra Dressage clinic Sept. 15-16, 2009 album. Unfortunately, Pentax doesn't have anything like it. Their 77/1.8 is more expensive and slow to focus. Canon has appropriate large aperture medium telephoto primes, and the 500D and 550D have higher resolution image sensors too.
Awesome photos !!!! Yes this is what I would love to get but realize it might be out of my price range at the moment.

Just to clarify WHAT camera and lenses were you using ?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
i'ts difficult to determine what type of image you would be satisfied with. perhaps a quick search on flickr and posting a link here would help.

this close (ignore the bull. just an example)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrchris...n/photostream/

or THIS close
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weisert...n/photostream/

you'll notice the blur as the shutter speeds were lowish (the second was at 1/50).
Good idea. I could live with the first one. I would scream over the second one. lol

I REALLY want what Tcav has in his/her album link above. Those would be awesome! Granted I'm sure that's WAY out of the price range at the moment but it's what I want so maybe I should re-think that part.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...-2444-med.html
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:45 PM   #24

you know thinking on it would a 85mm 1.8 really be that good for shooting equestrian events? horses are quite large animals and 85mm at 1.8 the dof will be pretty damn slim so if the horse isn't perpendicular to the camera fair chance of it not being in focus - also puts fair demands on the camera's autofocus to get a moving target in dim lighting with that narrow a dof

combined with the inflexibility of a prime lens for when the subject could be varying in distance from the camera by significant margins - the more i think about it zoom would be a better option for this sort of thing - a 70-200mm probably be a good option and a f2.8 might not be as fast but should be fast enough combined with modern high iso performance

cheapest of the 70-200mm would be the unstablised sigma at about $800 but that i would only pair up with pentax or sony camera bodies unless your using a tripod

then you have the stablised version which good for canon and nikon too but its $1650

then if you go with canon and nikon own brands over $2000 for canon and nikon not far behind

realistically you want at least $1200 for a sigma 70-200mm unstablised with a pentax kx or a sony body (dont know which to recommend to many sony cameras in there line up for me to remember them)
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:09 PM   #25

the second photo i posted the link to was at 1/50 f/4 or so. iso 250. it was probably 20 feet from camera to horse's head. depending on the lighting the op may be able to get this shot with a relatively cheap lens. i'm gonna take a minute and try to figure out the focal length used.

edit: no idea the focal length. too much work. sorry.

Last edited by frank-in-toronto; Nov 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:33 PM   #26

Yes, nikon and canon have very good external flashes. 3rd party metz and nissin makes good flashes dedicated to each brand.

[QUOTE=tccarlton;1172030]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
All these dslr are only okay for low light to no light without a good external flash. To rally get good indoor low light shots, a good external flash bouncing off the ceiling will really help.

Can you buy external flash with the NIkon and Canon I mentioned ?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:36 PM   #27

It looks like you can get away with the sigma 50-150 f2.8 HSM lens, it is available for canon, nikon and pentax for about 700 dollars. I would look at the canon T1i with this lens, add the nissin di622 flash, and the ef 50 1.8 and you should have a good kit. It is up to you weather you want to get the kit lens. It is good lens for general photography. The reason I would go with the canon over the pentax or the nikon is that with the proper lens, the AF system does a better job for action in the entry level dslr segment.

But to get the results you are looking for where you need to rely on the existing lighting, you will want one of the expensive zooms.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 8:28 PM   #28

A new Canon T1i body from Adorama.com is $565. The Sigma 55-150/2.8 that shoturtle mentioned is $749. Alternatively, the Canon 85/1.8 is $376 and the 100/2.0 is $431. For capturing your stallion, you can probably skip the flash, but you should probably have one for the other things you wnat to shoot. Unfortunately, due to the poor lighting conditions, nothing cheaper will do the job. If you can do it outdoors, however, andy P&S could probably do ok.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:06 PM   #29

Quote:
The entry level Nikons won't AF with appropriate large aperture primes. I switched to the Nikon D90 and the Nikon 85/1.8 for exactly the reason the OP has. See my Dr. Cesar Parra Dressage clinic Sept. 15-16, 2009 album. Unfortunately, Pentax doesn't have anything like it. Their 77/1.8 is more expensive and slow to focus. Canon has appropriate large aperture medium telephoto primes, and the 500D and 550D have higher resolution image sensors too.
I'm not sure what happened to my earlier post on this but your pictures are Awesome! These are the type of photos I Really want to take!

Just to clarify, what camera and lenses were you using for these photos?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:08 PM   #30

I've replied but they don't seem to be showing up.

I hope they do soon.