Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:23 PM   #41

Any flash would illuminate the foreground much more than the background. In that particular shot, a flash would make the horse and rider brighter, though since the horse is a bay, it probably wouldn't be much brighter, though the number certanly would. The footing (sand?) probably wouldn't be as bright, and while the while panels might be (depending on the strength of the flash) the stands behind them would almost certainly be darker.

I don't know that flash would be an improvement.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:26 PM   #42

Ive re-thought my goals and I'm willing to up the budget to get the better camera and lens to meet my needs.

I'm looking at the Nikon D90 for the camera.

Then I can get appropriate lenses.
tccarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
What is the OP experience in taking pictures, I can see from these posts that they may spend a lot of money on gear and then have a learning curve to get the right type of pictures for them to be acceptable. i would hate to see people spend a lot of money and then be very disappointed with the results.
I have been taking photos for many years. I've had a variety of decent cameras but none of them have done the jobs that I'm wanting to do. I have done weddings and would like to pursue that more. I believe any camera has a learning curve on it. I enjoy the learning curve.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:31 PM   #44

The D90 is a fine camera, but there are others that could do as well, possibly better, while costing about the same. Off the top of my head, the Canon T1i and T2i, the Pentax K-r, and any of the Sony A5x0 series. The key element is which lenses are available for them. Canon has the best selection of fast prime and zoom medium telephoto lenses appropriate for shooting indoor sports/action, followed by Nikon. Then there's Sony and, lastly, Pentax.

Considering all that, I suggest you go to a good camera store, and try out some of those and see which ones you feel most comfortable with.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:53 PM   #45

Thank you for that information TCav.

I do like Canon's so I'll be sure to check those out too.

How does the Canon 60D compare?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:56 PM   #46

Also without me looking, what is the differences btw T2i and T1i ?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:40 PM   #47

T2i is a fair bit more advanced than the T1i. More mp as well. The 60D has the same sensor and mp - also shared with the 7D - and more biased towards video.

I wouldn't buy a D90 just now, as it's going to be dropped but that hasn't been announced yet. So the price/value WILL drop quite soon. I'd either wait for that to happen, or (preferably) I'd get a D7000, a considerably more advanced and higher spec camera.

If you've been in photography for a long time you may have a collection of lenses, which obviously would influence your choice of DSLR.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:30 AM   #48

Hi I think that either the D90 or the T2i?550d would suit your need, do you have a good shop near you because how it feels and the layout could well help make your mind up. Speaking from experience when I tried the D90 and T2i/550d I preferred the canon, it just felt right. Good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:52 AM   #49

The 60D and D7000 are considerably more expensive, and add layers of complexity that won't be of immediate benefit to you. As I've said, the most important factor in your decision should be the lenses.

All the brands I've mentioned can use Sigma's 50-150/2.8, 70-200/2.8 and 85/1.4 lenses. Except for Pentax, they all have OEM versions of a 70-200/2.8, but they are expensive. Canon and Nikon have 85/1.8 lenses, and Sony has an 85/2.8. Canon, Nikon and Sony all have an 85/1.4, though Sony's doesn't focus very quickly. Canon alone has a 100/2.0 an a more expensive 135/2.0 that would work for you. Nikon has similar lenses, but they're much more expensive and they're not intended for sports/action shooting.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:51 AM   #50

If you're in the D90/T2i sort of price range and don't have a collection of lenses that may decide the matter for you, don't forget the immense croppability of a picture from the T2i compared with the D90. A decent long lens would cost you a fortune that you don't currently want to spend, so being able to crop down to a useful image size could be valuable to you. There's a big difference between 18mp and 12mp.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote