Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:56 AM   #1

Default Need DSLR for indoor photos

I have been on the hunt for a DSLR for some time and always second guess myself on this big purchase. I need some help to finally decide.

I need a great camera for outdoor photos, indoor photos with low light for ceremonies that take place in buildings like weddings, indoor arenas with little lighting.

The indoor arena pictures need to be where they capture clear photos of the moving horse. I do NOT want blurred movement where the horse and rider looks like a mutated blob.

The outdoor photos need to be high quality also.

I understand I need a camera with high ISO.

Being able to make video would be a HUGE bonus.

A couple I have looked at are the Canon EOS Rebel XS or XSi
and the Nikon D3000. Both of these are at $ 500 range where I need to stay at this time.

I hope Ive given enough information to get some final answers on my camera quest. I'll be back in tomorrow evening to check answers.

Thank you in advance !

Last edited by tccarlton; Nov 28, 2010 at 2:59 AM.
tccarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:06 AM   #2

All these dslr are only okay for low light to no light without a good external flash. To rally get good indoor low light shots, a good external flash bouncing off the ceiling will really help.

If you not looking to move into flash photography. The other option is a good big aperture prime. Something in the 1.8 range or better. With the canon you can get the ef 50 f1.8 for about 100 US dollars. And for the nikon the AF-s 35 f1.8 for 200. This will help with indoor low light shooting. These shorter focal length are not ideal for arenas. You will most likely need a big aperture zoom, something with a constant f2.8. A flash will most likely not be suite for you horse shooting.

But you might still have motion blur indoors depending on the lighting with action, as none of the camera mention shoot pass 1600iso or shoot well pass 1600iso.

You might have to move up to a canon t1i or nikon d5000 that will shoot at 3200iso well and okay at 6400iso. But you may still need the big aperture zoom. As the kit lenses are really not suited for action shooting.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:10 AM   #3

not to expensive f2.8 zoom that are available for canon and nikon are from sigma, the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM and the sigma 50-150mm f2.8 HSM. They range form 600-800 dollar. So indoor action is going to get expensive.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 28, 2010 at 3:12 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:02 AM   #4

Hi and welcome what you should be looking at is something like a canon 500d or 550d these both have hi iso. To get good pictures in doors then you will need a good external flash and fast lenses.
Can I ask what are you going to take pictures of.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:04 AM   #5

wave,

indoor action, horses in an arena. That is going to get expensive as a flash will not be well suite for that kind of photography, can spook the horses with a flash going off.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:33 AM   #6

Actually, the horses don't usually spook at flashes, but the riders will go ballistic because they might, and most riders get hurt because they did something stupid, not the horse.

But, yes, if you're shooting any kind of sports/action indoors, you'll need fast shutter speeds, and you'll need large apertures and high ISOs to make up for them. What matters is how close you can get and how bad the lighting is. What types of equestrian events will you be shooting, and in what kinds of venues will they be held?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:46 AM   #7

with the budget constraits i think large aperture zooms are out - best bet is a maybe a fast 50mm prime and if that doesn't offer the flexibility needed then will simply have to rely on iso so

pentax kx - cheap as chips but a good camera with great low light performance
canon 550d - another good option
nikon d90 - i think its the only real nikon option that has a chance of being in your budget with good low light capabilities - that said its a higher spec camera than either the pentax or canon - so if you were thinking about it - might be worth looking further up the other manufacturers ranges too

might be wrong of course but dont recall hearing anything about lower end nikons being good in low light - sure someone here will know though
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:33 AM   #8

The entry level Nikons won't AF with appropriate large aperture primes. I switched to the Nikon D90 and the Nikon 85/1.8 for exactly the reason the OP has. See my Dr. Cesar Parra Dressage clinic Sept. 15-16, 2009 album. Unfortunately, Pentax doesn't have anything like it. Their 77/1.8 is more expensive and slow to focus. Canon has appropriate large aperture medium telephoto primes, and the 500D and 550D have higher resolution image sensors too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:46 AM   #9

Ok now got my glasses on and re read op. and yes what you want is going to get expensive, you may get away with the kit 18-55 and a 50 1.8 plus a flash for the indoor stuff, but the indoor arena you will need a wide aperture long lens, which will cost. Out side any lens you have will work and give good quality.
I think you may have to increase your budget
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
Ok now got my glasses on and re read op. and yes what you want is going to get expensive, you may get away with the kit 18-55 and a 50 1.8 plus a flash for the indoor stuff, but the indoor arena you will need a wide aperture long lens, which will cost. Out side any lens you have will work and give good quality.
I think you may have to increase your budget
or change the requirements. ease up on the horse stuff. the op won't get good pics in this price range. best to let it go.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote