Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:34 PM   #11

Thanks. It was inside a shop which wasn't that bright inside.

Took some picks with the TZ8 and not happy with the grainy outcome of them. My daughter looked nice in the pics i took but the background etc all looked grainy.

Looks like it will be the G1 for me!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:47 AM   #12

Koolpc... Electronic viewfinders tend to refresh more slowly in lower light - as opposed to optical viewfinders, which just get dark. They might also be a bit more sensitive to he flicker of flourescent lighting.

While there's no question the G1 is in a much higher class than the TZ8 in terms of image quality, I noticed you said you wouldn't be buying any extra lenses for the G1 if you bought that camera. That negates one of the two big advantages of the G1 over the TZ8: sensor size and the option of interchangeable lenses.

The G1's kit lens is 14-45mm... or a 28-90mm field of view in 35mm SLR terms. The TZ8 gives you 25-300mm. So all this begs the question: Will the G1's lens be enough for you?

Also, which camera are you more likely to take with you most of the time? Will the fact that the TZ8 can fit in a jacket pocket make it a lot more likely you'll use it? The G1 will need a dedicated camera bag or will be strung around your neck.

I own the G1 and love it. It's smaller and more convenient than my Pentax DSLR kit. But I also own a number of smaller P&S cameras. All have their place. If you're going to own only one camera, you'll have to make some compromises one way or the other.

I'm just advising you to carefully consider how you plan to use the camera and think about which camera will be the one you will be more likely to have with you. You won't get any shots off with a camera that is left home.

EDIT: I posted this response while still looking at page 1 of the string. It appears the OP has made his decision.

Last edited by Biro; Nov 30, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:30 AM   #13

No, didn't like the EVF of the G1. Back to square one!! Anyone recommend a good compact that has some good ISO and manual adjustments.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:37 PM   #14

Perhaps you should try the awesome swivel LCD of the G1. Any compact camera you buy will only come with LCD, so the G1 has a huge advantage since it offers both. The G1 EVF works great in daylight conditions.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
No, didn't like the EVF of the G1. Back to square one!! Anyone recommend a good compact that has some good ISO and manual adjustments.
Canon S95 or G12, Panasonic LX5, Samsung TL500/EX1, Nikon P7000. All 3 have sensors that are ~40% larger than other compacts, which will drastically improve those indoor shots.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:23 PM   #16

I agree with FiveO... those five cameras are as good as it gets - for now - in terms of image quality among compacts. That's ruling out micro four thirds and similar mirrorless cameras, of course.

I would also suggest the Olympus E-PL1... but its rear LCD isn't great in bright sunshine, almost requiring the VF-2 electronic viewfinder, which is better than the EVFs of the Panasonic G series. But the VF-2 is almost $250. On top of $499 or so for the E-PL1, that's almost $750. But it takes great photos.

There's also the Sony NEX-3, which has an even larger APS-C sensor in it. But there is no viewfinder option at all. I have no idea how good the rear LCD is in bright light. In the U.S., as of right now, it runs about $550 with an 18-55mm kit lens.

Last edited by Biro; Nov 30, 2010 at 9:30 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:42 AM   #17

For those prices i might aswell go back to an entry level DSLR
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:20 AM   #18

You're right. If image quality is very important, you're pretty much talking about a DSLR. If size and simplicity is important, you go with one of the better point-and-shoot cameras described above but accept its limitations.

Micro four-thirds and other compact, mirrorless cameras are great but they really belong in the DSLR category in terms price and performance.

More suggestions: Wait a few months. There are rumors that Panasonic, Olympus or both will introduce rangefinder-type micro four-thirds cameras with built-in viewfinders. Also, mirrorless cameras from Pentax and possibly Nikon are expected in the spring of 2011. If I'm not mistaken, Canon has said it plans to work on smaller DSLRs, not mirrorless cameras.

But if you can't wait and decide to go for an entry-level DSLR, you pretty much can't go wrong with a Pentax K-x. Also, the Nikon D3100 is a marked improvement over the D3000 and the D5000 is still a decent piece of kit. Just remember those Nikons can only take AF-S and AF-I lenses with autofocus motors inside them.

For Canon, there's the T1i (EOS 500D) and T2i (EOS 550D). The XS (EOS 1000D) may still be around for less money as well but it is outperformed by most of its competition lately. But if you can find a new one at a really good price, it would certainly still be a big step up from a point and shoot.