Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:08 PM   #1

Default Panasonic G1 or TZ8

Got the chance to buy a 2nd hand G1 from a camera dealer for 230 with 6 months warranty or a new TZ8 for 179.

I like both cameras very much. Tried both but still can't decide. I know one is a compact and the other is quite a bit bigger etc!

Do you think the G1 offers more in terms of quality etc?

TZ8 can be slipped in the pocket, G1 can't. Does that bother me? No. Help!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:44 PM   #2

These 2 cams aren't even in remotely the same class. The TZ8 is a P&S travel cam and the G1 is a micro 4/3 cam that will require interchangeable lenses, etc. There is no right answer - it depends on what your needs/wants are.

And yes there's a huge difference in image quality in larger prints, less-than-ideal lighting, higher ISO, etc.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:03 AM   #3

Obviously they are not in the same class. Just wanted to know which would be the better camera as they both have maual settings etc.

Just that i like both and can't decide. I wouldn't be buying extra lenses if i bought the G1.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:06 AM   #4

depend on what you shoot, the m4/3 will give you way more control over your photo. But if you are not shooting in low light, and do not print big. It comes down to if you want a larger body or a pocket cam.

IQ is very heavy slanted to the m4/3 as the much larger sensor does capture much better details.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
depend on what you shoot, the m4/3 will give you way more control over your photo. But if you are not shooting in low light, and do not print big. It comes down to if you want a larger body or a pocket cam.

IQ is very heavy slanted to the m4/3 as the much larger sensor does capture much better details.
Does that apply to both cameras? I have read the G1 is still great for indoor stuff. How many people use high ISO?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:25 AM   #6

the panasonic G1 is a great outdoor camera, as it is a m4/3 format will hands down out perform the TZ8 in IQ.

Though the G1 is not a great low light camera compare to olympus m4/3 it is still better then a small sensor point and shoot in the same lighting. It depends on which side of the coin you are judging form. For a dslr owner, the G1 is not great for low light, but form a pns owner it is a upgrade.

The G1 will not get any where close to what your old dslr would have done in low light.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 29, 2010 at 4:27 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:35 AM   #7

Ok, i see. It all boils down to sensore size i suppose. G1 much better than TZ8 because of that.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:45 AM   #8

I have a G1 and love it. In fact, I recently bought and returned a GH1 body because even though it's said to be a better camera, I found very little difference between the two to justify the investment. I say get the G1.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:19 PM   #9

Looked at the G1 today and looking through the EVF it was flickering a bit. Is that normal?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:29 PM   #10

Hum, not really. However, you must keep in mind that this is an electronic EVF so it possible you'll see flickering depending on the lighting as opposed to a regular viewfinder which is simply a view through a mirror (no electronics involved).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote