Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:11 AM   #1

Default Which camera and Lense for Indoor Photography

Dear Members,
I want to buy an camera whose purpose will be to shoot mainly inside Auditoriums shooting indian classical vocal artists without use of Flash and from a long distance and occasionally videos. I have selected Canon 500d/550d (Rebel T1 and T2) and Nikon 5000/3100. I will also need long focal length zoom lense, preferably upto250/300 mm which should be budget lense. Before this I used to shoot with Panasonic Lumix FZ 35 , with 12x zoom. But now I want to venture in to SLR region. Please advise me on this regards. Members can view my pics with Lumix here so they can know my purpose better.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ajay.anahatnaad/
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...5&l=8429c644d8
ajay371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay371 View Post
... I will also need long focal length zoom lense, preferably upto250/300 mm ...
That will be a problem.

Quote:
... which should be budget lense. ...
That will be a real problem.

To shoot indoors without flash, you need a slow shutter speed (risking motion blur), a large aperture (expensive), and a high ISO setting (risking image noise. Whatever you do, you need to compromise on one or more of these.

A large aperture telephoto zoom, something like a 70-200mm f/2.8, on an APS-C dSLR, will get similar results to the ones you gave as examples. The OEMs and third parties offer lenses like that, but they will cost at least $750.

In addition, even with the large f/2.8 aperture, you may still need to use slower shutter speeds which can result in motion blur due to camera shake, and the stabilized large aperture telephoto zoom lenses for Canon and Nikon are very expensive. You may be better off with something from Olympus, Pentax or Sony, which put the image stabilization in the body instead of the lens. Thus, you can use the less expensive, unstabilized lens on a stabilized body, instead of a more expensive stabilized lens on an unstabilized body from Canon or Nikon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:49 AM   #3

I looked at a couple of the indoor photos and saw that at least for 1 you had your panny set to 1/5 sec iso400 and f/3 or so. a dslr will allow iso3200 and a wider aperture so your shutter speed should be 1/40 or 1/50. still way too slow for handheld especially at the higher zoom numbers. you didn't mention tripod. is that permitted in these venues? perhaps a monopod?

I think you will find, like everyone, that good and cheap seldom go together.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:04 AM   #4

Thanks for such a quick response, Wel no tripod, I capture these images as audience and not as journalist or with special permission. And Flash I avoid on personal level so as not to disturb the artists, some time flash is allowed (but then its against my conscience) and sometime artists requests not to use flash too. My earlier superzoom Panasonic had max ISO of 400, so that was limit.
"I think you will find, like everyone, that good and cheap seldom go together" I agree on this count but budget constraint is forcing me for compromise so I am looking for best among worst.
Re. Camera I have filtered my choice to canon 550d which is pricey v/s Canon 500d or Nikon D5000.
Lense in my budget is Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
or if Nikon then
Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300 VR ED f/4-5.5.6 G at about 250$.
In India we do not have Pentax line up. But can surely look for Olympus or Sony. As far as I know Sony doesn't have HD or Video in Alpha550.
kindly advise.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
As far as I know Sony doesn't have HD or Video in Alpha550.
kindly advise.
No. The Sony A500 and A550 models have a great Live View system (much better than other brands), but they don't shoot HD Video.

But, the new Sony A580 shoots video, and it's also got an updated AF System, new 16MP CMOS Sensor design, and new features like the sweep panorama mode that's also found in the Sony NEX-5.

Ditto for the Sony A55 (able to shoot video). It's a newer design that uses an EVF versus an Optical Viewfinder like the A580 uses.

The A33 is another model that can shoot video.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:23 PM   #6

Also, in India, you may have access to the 14MP Sony A560, which also records video.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Also, in India, you may have access to the 14MP Sony A560, which also records video.
Officially this model is not yet launched in India.
A330L costs about $600
and SAL 75-300 75-300mm F4.5-5.6
lense will cost $300, that amounts to 900$. Is it worth the deal? I still haven't seen anyone using Sony DSLR here in India...
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Officially this model is not yet launched in India.
A330L costs about $600
and SAL 75-300 75-300mm F4.5-5.6
lense will cost $300, that amounts to 900$.
How about the A500? That's a much better camera (especially at higher ISO speeds), and it's available at some very good closeout prices in some areas.

As for the Sony 75-300mm lens, I'd find an alternative to it. If you can live with 200mm, go with the 55-200mm instead. It's smaller, lighter and better. Or, in a budget third party lens, look at the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro. Or, on the used market, look for a Minolta Maxxum or Dynax 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO AF lens (making sure it's the APO version, as the non APO versions are not very good), or if you can live with 200mm, look for a Minolta Maxxum or Dynax 70-210mm f/4 AF lens (a.k.a., the "Beercan"). Any of the lenses I've mentioned are better than the Sony 75-300mm you're looking at.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:57 PM   #9

Wel, I did legwork yesterday and found not many Sony sellers and Service station for cameras. Its long way yet for them to firm-up the strength hold in DSLR market at least in India. Besides there lens prices too are near about that of Canon and Nikon lenses, no wide price range there. So Sony is out of race.
That leaves out my choice with Canon and Nikon, there's nothing near Canon 550d in the segment I am looking for price wise and feature wise, I think Panasonic G2 can be compared with 550d. But these two will cost me 225$ more then Nikon 5000 or Canon 500. As for Lens I will expand my budget to 600$. So what's the best choice?