Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:11 PM   #1

Default SLR vs. DSLR

I am wondering if the SLR cameras have any advantage over the DSLR cameras? One that I could see is that they don't have batteries. Yesterday I was at Historic Yorktown in Virginia and I was taking pictures of birds and the water. Then I try to get a picture of me and my wife and I couldn't get a good picture of us because the sun was hurting my eyes too much anyway just as I was figured out how to get the picture just right my camera said batteries depleted. I was so mad. The batteries died in 20 min!!!! Witch brings up another question. These batteries were disposable batteries witch i know is bad but I can't afford to get those $200 ones with a nifty charger but when I can what battery system should I look for? Whats the best and we will work down from there.

Thanks for your help!
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:46 PM   #2

Which camera do you havE?
L]
------------------------------------------------
xJoey Dubsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:00 PM   #3

I always have a spare battery with me for my camera, takes like 30 seconds to change. The same was true with my film SLRs, they had batteries to run the light meters and other electronics. Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:42 PM   #4

A spare battery would be nice but it takes 4 AA batteries. I carries a spare with me but I used them over thanksgiving and right before we left the car at Yorktown I changed the batteries with brand new ones. And its a Pentax K-x.

Is there any rechargeable batteries out there that could increase my camera's life on one charge?
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
A spare battery would be nice but it takes 4 AA batteries. I carries a spare with me but I used them over thanksgiving and right before we left the car at Yorktown I changed the batteries with brand new ones. And its a Pentax K-x.

Is there any rechargeable batteries out there that could increase my camera's life on one charge?
You will get much better life with rechargeable batteries. Look for any of the slow discharge types, like the Sanyo Eneloop or the slow discharge Duracells. They are more expensive but you will get hundreds of charges and the camera will always be ready when you need it. The regular rechargeable will discharge over time when not being used. You'll want at least two sets. You could also pick up the lithium type batteries which will give you better life, but will get expensive over time to replace every few weeks if you use the camera a lot. I'm not a big fan of cameras that run on AA's..they are much bigger and usually don't last as long as the rechargeables. I'd much rather have a proprietary lithium that lasts a long time and is smaller to carry.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:23 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Yes, batteries like the Eneloop may look initially to be 5-10x the cost of alkaline, but they can be recharged 500-1000 times, and each charge will give probably 10x the number of shots that you can get from alkaline batteries.

Also note that alkaline batteries do not give very good delivery and this can in fact cause problems with the camera electronics, adversely affecting image quality.

I get 500+ shots from my 2-year-old Canon (proprietary) battery, life is so good that I don't even have a spare because I have never been able to run it down in a single day's shooting.

Why anyone thinks that AA batteries are a plus in camera selection still mystifies me.

I still have two film cameras, batteries last for 6-12 months in those. :-) And of course if you use a Leica MP or M7 you don't actually need batteries at all to trip the shutter!

Last edited by peripatetic; Nov 30, 2010 at 3:25 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:00 AM   #7

Sanyo Eneloop are the best and don't cost the earth!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:15 AM   #8

set of sanyo eneloops isn't that expensive either - http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-...1112113&sr=8-2 complete with charger for $17

oh and make sure you update your cameras firmware - early versions could have problems with certain batteries
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
I am wondering if the SLR cameras have any advantage over the DSLR cameras? One that I could see is that they don't have batteries. ...
What do you mean they don't have batteries? They all have batteries. The difference is that the battery is used to operate the diaphragm rather than the shutter or the film winder. I remember a long time ago I shot 5 rolls of film with my Praktica SLR during my vacation only to find out after spending $$$ on development that they were all blank because the battery was dead. Basically, the camera let me shoot and wind the film up (all manual controls) but the diaphragm did not operate.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Sanyo Eneloop are the best and don't cost the earth!
I personally use the NiZn batteries from PowerGenix.

In my opinion, these are the best AAs to use in any electronics. I use them in my Canon 580EX II speedlite (seem to last forever), Xbox 360 controllers, the Kid's toys, etc.

These are also more "Eco-friendly" if that matters to you.

Here's our review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/acces...d-charger.html
billy is offline   Reply With Quote