Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:25 PM   #1

Default which super zoom for about $300

i am looking for a good super zoom around $300. i will be using it to take pictures of my son, the family, and for vacations. i want a camera that has good image quality on auto, but has the controls because i intend to learn.

i've been looking at the Nikon Coolpix P100 and Panasonic Lumix FZ40 as both are going for about $300 right now. my brother-in-law has the P90 and i thought it was a good camera and the images looked good as well. i've read reviews for both, but still can't decide which to go with.

i would appreciate any assistance the community may have between these two or a better option in the price range.
jd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:12 PM   #2

The Panasonic FZ35.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
The Panasonic FZ35.
Do you mind adding a reason to your suggestion? I considered this model as it appears to be very popular and well reviewed. However, It seems to be harder and harder to find since it's older and there isn't much of a price different between it and the newer FZ40.

Thanks,

JD
jd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:16 PM   #4

According to most people, the IQ of the FZ models has rolled backwards since the FZ28 or so. The FZ100, the worst of the bunch, is still the #1 rated camera in its class, with the Canon SX30 coming in slightly behind it in the head-to-head reviews.