Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:33 PM   #1

Default Should I buy an IMPORTED model? Canon T2i

Asking for some QUICK responses here folks as my time is limited. Just wondering why the imported models are soooooo much less than USA models. Are the imported models worth getting for over $200 less? I am getting the Canon T2i and have found one for $419 brand new but hesitate because of the drastic price difference. Any comments good or bad please! Thank You.
crlindstrom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:09 PM   #2

too good to be true. I am assuming you are referring to "gray market" cameras. I don't recommend buying those. They are sold so much cheaper because the do not include any warranties, they are usually sold "under the table" without taxes and tariffs. Combine all that and you get a low low price.

B&H Photo has a good little article explaining it all:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/USGrey.jsp
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:23 PM   #3

Eric, thanks for the reply. The article from BH was good and explained a lot. Yes, I am referring to the "Gray Market" cameras. I guess my only thing is that a brand new USA model has only a one year warranty...with that said, how often do you see things go wrong within the first year on anything? My own personal experience is not very often. With that said, besides paying extra, what's the advantage of getting the USA model? I just can't stand the fact of paying that much extra to a company that just makes the CEO's of these companies richer.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:25 PM   #4

Depends where you live. I don't live in the USA so a USA warranty doesn't do a lot for me, and I might just as well buy a grey import (do remember that they're ALL imported - the cameras are identical). I'd be more concerned that the deal offered was actually a scam, and at that sort of price I suspect it is. Do a search on the internet for comments on that seller.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:43 PM   #5

Ok, thanks for the replies but I figured out I just gotta spend the extra $ where I know I will not get scammed. Just called the place that had it advertised for $419 and a guy answered who was not very friendly or customer oriented. I only asked questioned. I then called another "independent" website who advertised it for like $469 (in that ball park) and the same guy answered the phone!!!!! When I called him out on it asking why he was answering a different companies phones he got all upset so I hung up. I will just purchase it at a place of known services. Thanks a lot to you guys I did not get scammed! THANKS!!!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:03 PM   #6

wow, what a very interesting story about the phone call. That i have never heard of. Good job for digging into the company. a little information can go a long way, lol.

good luck with the continuing camera purchase.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:34 PM   #7

Not only will you not get a warranty with grey market but most manufacturers WILL NOT
repair it even for a charge... Also, many grey market items have been known to be returns,
defective rejects, etc and you have no recourse but to bite the bullet if it turns out to be
a dud... Reputable dealers like B&H, Amazon, etc will sometimes stand behind them with
a store warranty but I wouldn't trust many others...

My personal opinion - Unless it's a 10 or 20 dollar item I stay far away from grey market...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 29, 2010 at 8:37 PM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:48 PM   #8

B&H and Adorama give their own warranties with grey imports, and they are both reliable and in many cases better than the manufacturer's warranties you get with "official" imports. I would buy a grey import from either of them with total confidence. But you won't get it for $419!!
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:32 AM   #9

Hi here is my take, what price peace of mind. When I was looking for my 550d/T2i I was offered one for €450 a massive saving and I was old full european warranty. I was lucky I think that I was on Holiday and saw the camera and the Language it was in was not one I knew. So I waited got a good deal back in the uk cost me just over 150 more but peace of mind. Hope this helps
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crlindstrom87 View Post
Asking for some QUICK responses here folks as my time is limited. Just wondering why the imported models are soooooo much less than USA models. Are the imported models worth getting for over $200 less? I am getting the Canon T2i and have found one for $419 brand new but hesitate because of the drastic price difference. Any comments good or bad please! Thank You.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe.

Look to purchase from a retailer that will offer the same warranty as the USA warranted products carry for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it back to the retailer for service - unless they have an agreement with a local service agent.

For, I think, about the past 10 years, the policy of Canon USA has been to honor their warranty for ANY unit sold through an authorized Canon reseller, whether it has been imported by an authorized agent or not.

All the customer requires is the original receipt to verify the reseller and the date of sale - apparently you don't need the warranty card, and even if you do have the warranty card, you will still have to provide the receipt.

If you have any doubts about a retailer, check the customer feedback at www.resellerratings.com, and double-check with: http://thoughts-of-dave.blogspot.com

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote